Thread: Two years (well, almost).

Default Two years (well, almost).

Well, two years now. Or close enough.
    Here was our one year update http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26843
    Since then I have acquired a job and a baby. I like my working environment but that is almost wholly due to the people I work with. I can see the bureaucracy but it doesnít get in my day to day way thanks to my boss.
    To add to observations from last time: there are more things (possibly mainly American things?) becoming available all the time and in many cases prices are coming down on various goods. So, if you canít find something (first check TradeMe ) chances are it will show up here eventually. And if it costs too much, wait a bit and the price will come down. (Except milk, which has seasonal variations like every other foodstuff produced here).

There is a fair amount of discrepancy between what products one can get on the North Island vs the South. Which is really annoying (curse you Burgerfuel and your tasty, yet unavailable on the SI, burgers. Why not have a restaurant in ChCh?!). I donít really see ChCh as the ass end of nowhere but it seems quite a lot of NZ and NZlanders do. Other than a few things we donít really want for anything down here.

Itís quite interesting to see NZ changing even since weíve been here. Nostalgia is a sure sign of a rapidly changing society and NZ has it in heaps.

OH is still at the same job as when we arrived, though that may be changing as, while the work is interesting for him, they significantly underpay while having too high standards to hire enough people. Not sure if that is a Christchurch as a Ďlifestyleí location thing, or something shortsighted his boss is doing (we suspect the latter!). We do really like the Christchurch area, having checked out some other areas (only Palmerston North/Manawatu are left to go) with an eye toward living, and while many are very nice, we still like it here best. Heís been dragging his feet looking for another job as he gets to learn and use a lot of cutting edge technology, and in October after heís been there two years he figures he can safely respond to the 2 years experience wanted ads without hassle about 'lack of NZ experience' or experience in general. He makes some noise about relocating to Auckland for better pay, but I hope it doesnít come to that since I really like my job and would have a difficult time finding another one, let alone one as nice as this one. Plus I still think we can get the best pay to cost of living ratio where we are. That is, Auckland is more expensive!
    So if anyone needs a good C# (among other things) programmer let me know!
    We have been saving and hope to build or buy a house (preferably build) in the next few years. Weíll see how that goes.
    Weíll be taking our little girl back to see family for our probably one and only return visit to the US (after the addition of more children we will neither be able to nor want to afford the trip cost) sometime next year.
    Thatís about it! The earthquake hasnít changed our minds any as we both grew up on the west coast of the US, and Iíve now been through two 7+ magnitude earthquakes.

Thanks for the interesting update.

Thanks for that!

congrats on the baby!! I haven't been on here in a while so this is my first update!
    So pleased for you!

Oh--and congrats on 2 years, too!

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you have written (locales, etc).

We have been here almost 2 years too!

Things are changing quickly here aren't they? Even the cheese is getting better. I think NZ will lose its backwater status pretty soon.

Many congrats