Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interview with INZ today! (+ questions and comments)

Default Interview with INZ today! (+ questions and comments)

My wife and I had our interview this morning. Went swimmingly, I think. A very friendly and pleasant conversation with lots of positive feedback throughout.

We had answers prepared for just about any conceivable question. The only problem? As Emperor Joseph II said, "Too many notes. Cut a few. It will be perfect". I had so many notes a couple of times I could not find the right one. Still, my wife picked up when I was vamping and carried the conversation.

Our CO stated we would get a response within 1-2 weeks(!) As I recall though, I believe that is their standard response, and they typically get back in a day or two. Is that correct? I hope so. I know a few days in the scheme of things is not much, but I've been here in the Phantom Zone for a long time, and sure would like to escape.

The interview begins with a brief overview of the structure of the call, followed by some security questions. These questions clearly are to make sure they are speaking to the correct person, and not a stand-in (for instance if the applicant did not actually speak English but tried to get someone who could to cover for him). There were about 10 questions in rapid sequence covering areas the applicant should know off the top of his head (while a stand-in might have to look it up).

The entire interview lasted about 45-50 minutes. CO had estimated it would be about 30-45 minutes but emphasised not to be concerned if it were longer or shorter. CO typed our responses into their notes as we spoke and warned us would do so.

There were no surprises in the questions. All fell in the standard categories of
    - Primary Applicant Employment Prospects
    - Preparedness of Partner / Family
    - Familiarity with New Zealand
    - Linkages and Levels of Support (i.e., family in friends in NZ)

As my wife does not intend to work for the first year, her questions were more related to preparedness. As we have no family and few contacts on the ground, that section was limited.

Standard disclaimer: this is my opinion, and not advice, etc. etc.

Also, I don’t think I’m giving away any state secrets here. Questions seem to be fairly standard, but everyone will have his own response. And these are fair questions to see if you understand what you are getting into. You would not do yourself any favours by memorising the desired response if it did not reflect what you truly thought. For instance, INZ want to hear you understand adjustment will be a challenge and will take time. If you say that to get through the interview, but think inwardly it will be a breeze, you are only hurting yourself.

Questions

Employment Prospects:

- What industry do you work in?
    - What level of position will you be seeking (e.g., entry level, middle management)?
    - What opportunities exist in your industry in NZ?
    - What recruiters have you approached?
    - How many hours/week do you expect to work?
    - What type of salary do you expect to earn?
    - What barriers do you anticipate in finding a job?
    - If you are not successful in finding a job, what are your plans?
    - Do you expect to study for a new degree or qualifications in NZ?
    - What are your long-term plans in NZ?
    - How has the recent recession impacted your industry in NZ?
    - What savings will you bring over? How long can that carry you if you do not find a job in the short-term?
    - How difficult do you expect it to be to find a position?

Preparedness

- When will you move if approved?
    - What work does partner intend to do?
    - What research has partner done in looking for work?
    - Where do you expect to settle?
    - Have you ever moved before and resettled other than in your hometown / region?
    - What challenges did you face?
    - Why are you leaving US?
    - What difficulties do you anticipate in settling?
    - Why do you think you will be successful in overcoming difficulties in settling?

Familiarity

- Have you ever been to NZ?
    - Where did you visit?
    - What was the purpose of the visit?
    - What attracted you to NZ?
    - What do you know about cost of housing?
    - What do you expect to pay for rent?
    - What do you know about education system in NZ?
    - What is the cost of living like?
    - How much is gasoline / petrol?
    - How much are utilities?

Linkages?

- Do you have family in NZ?

There probably would typically be some other questions, like what companies have you contacted? Have you applied for positions? Etc. but we had covered them in the course of the other questions listed. I made a point of indicating knowledge I had on lack of insulation, leaky homes, rent quoted on a weekly basis, Auckland traffic, relative strength of banking system, SCF bail-out, Christchurch earthquake, NZ international rankings for quality of life and corruption, etc. I wanted to show I knew my stuff even if it were not asked.

One response that went over very well was understanding the simple things in moving that create stress: where to find good prices, how much is intra-country postage, how to get car inspected, who provides trustworthy service for home maintenance, etc. The sum of those simple things that are common sense to a native can be very difficult and time-consuming for a newcomer.

It also was very well received that I had made a recce / networking trip. For those considering whether it would be worthwhile, I would say emphatically yes. Not only for your own knowledge but also to score well with INZ.

A couple of important points I found out along the way. In general, INZ are looking to determine the probability the applicant’s move / settlement will be successful. They also seek to determine that you have a realistic view on NZ, have done your homework, that you are flexible should things not work out as you planned, and that you understand the personal and professional challenges you will face.

You may be marked down if you are overly optimistic (e.g., no flexibility in your desired position, salary expectations unrealistic, expect no significant personal or professional challenges, believe life will be no different than in your home country, think you will adapt with no problems (or very quickly).

It appears that a combination of employment prospects, preparation, and familiarity are the keys to a successful interview. Great scores in one area, but low scores in another likely would not go over well. Family support can help but is secondary to the others.

And now we wait....

Hope this is helpful

As I haven't been interviewed it was quite interesting reading this well summarised essay.

All the best to you

Thanks for this - it will definitely help others.

Nice one!

Thank you very much to your sharing which really helps me get prepared when my time comes.

Great posting, hopefully we'll be reaching this stage soon.

Thanks so much for the excellent notes!
    I am bookmarking this post :-)

Wow! Thank you As a new couple into the process they are really good areas for us to think about - to make the process as realistic as possible - so thank you very much for that angle too!

Good Luck and well done! Great post!

Tigger

Great post! I'm sure people will find it very helpful. As for your question about timeline, our CO interviewed us on a Wednesday and told us we'd hear from her by the next Friday, but we ended up hearing by the Friday after our interview (only a two-day wait).

Sounds like it went very well, hope to be issuing some bananas soon!

Congrats on getting through this stage of the process!!

I think your post is going to be so helpful for those approaching that step. Thanks for going through the steps in such great detail!!

Can't wait to hear about the results! Wishing you the best SueDonim!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast