Thread: has any one paid GST?

Question has any one paid GST?

We are permanent residents entered NZ in September 2008 our stuff left Nov 2009 while we returned to the UK in Jan 2010.

We have now returned to NZ and our container arrives at the end of the month has anyone been in the same situation where they have benn out of the country less than 21 months and had to pay GST?

When we picked up the pooch reading the customs form it looked like we would pay it for him but customs did not charge us anything

I'm also interested to see if we get charged GST on the boxes I've shipped with Sevenseas. When we first came over as visitors I sent boxes and was charged GST on some of the electrical items that were less than 12 months old.

My husband seems to think that you get a one time only chance as a resident not to pay GST on items you ship over - I've no idea what he's basing that on though! Our second batch of boxes have arrived in the country as of 1st September and I have had an invoice for the goods examination fee but nothing as yet about GST - I will certainly let you know if I do get charged for anything!

thanks Bobo as there is nothing new infact I have the inventory from when the goods were shipped in Jan I can tick box for box infact there is less!

Janey, good news (for me!!), our boxes have passed through customs and are being delivered to us tomorrow and no mention of any GST to pay at all - phewy! So I think you should definitely be OK too - especially if this is not the first time the items have seen New Zealand!

Good luck anyway

thanks Bobbo fingers crossed!