Thread: Plug in USA wall clock..

Default Plug in USA wall clock..

I'm thinking of bringing a really cool 1970's wall clock from the states. It is a plug in type - anyone know if it will just work with an adapter, or will it need a transformer?
    Thanks,
    Amy.

I am pretty sure you will need a transformer. As I understand it, it is not a good idea to plug in anything with just an adapter unless the item can adjust for different voltages, like a computer. It may seem like its working and may work fine, but is likely a fire hazard - especially on an older item like that.

I am not sure what the effects of pumping 230V through a devise designed for 120V, but I am sure it can't be too good.
    Last edited by TJH; 14th September 2010 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by auskiwi View Post
    I'm thinking of bringing a really cool 1970's wall clock from the states. It is a plug in type - anyone know if it will just work with an adapter, or will it need a transformer?
    Thanks,
    Amy.
    Would be more concerned with how it measures time than if it can be plugged in, it it really is that old then it may well measure time based on the frequency of the mains input which in US is 60Hz but in NZ it is 50Hz i.e. the clock will not keep time.

Ian

Put it up just as an ornament, if you're fond of it. Either tell everyone it tells Time Past, or console yourself with the fact that it's correct twice every 24 hours.

Buy a small cheap 12V 120V 60Hz inverter before you leave home. When you get here, buy a 12V DC power supply (also very cheap) to run it with. That way you'll get the right voltage and frequency for your clock.

if you really like the clock, get the internals replaced when you get here.
    in the US, you could buy all the components and DIY.
    I don't know if that is possible here but I am sure you can find someone to do it for you.

I would say mylesdw has the cheapest solution. Custom work that involves opening up things costs mega. A low wattage power DC-AC power inverter and a plug in wall adaptor 240AC->12VDC may be $40 tops USD. 2ND hand, half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    I would say mylesdw has the cheapest solution. Custom work that involves opening up things costs mega. A low wattage power DC-AC power inverter and a plug in wall adaptor 240AC->12VDC may be $40 tops USD. 2ND hand, half the price.
    Yip, I needed to have a power amplifier switched over from 120 to 220v in NZ. Took it down to a local electrical engineer and talked it over with him. Ended up costing me NZ$10.

Thanks for all the replies...will check into the inverter thing.

I am filled with hope! :-)

Amy.

Quote Originally Posted by auskiwi View Post
    Thanks for all the replies...will check into the inverter thing.

I am filled with hope! :-)

Amy.
    Please check the type of clock first i.e. how it keeps time.

Quartz clocks became popular in the 1970s and if it is a quartz clock then it calculates time based on the oscillations of a crystal instead of the mains frequency and thus you won't need an 'inverter thing'.

Ian