Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching qualification

Default Teaching qualification

Hi all this is my first post.
    I m a teacher currently teaching in Malaysia, planning to go to NZ middle of next year. I've sent in application to register with the NZ teachers council and ve received reply that my qualification is not comparable to NZ one and advised to apply through Track 2. I urgently need some advice especially if there are any one from Malaysia or similar region who have the same experience. Here are some of my questions.

1. I need to know the chances of being accepted after all the work and cost. I presume it would be quite difficult for me, as I ve thrown away all of my classroom observation report. Need to get lots of documents and testimonials and my present school can only provide all in Malay language which i need to get someone to translate to english.

2. What are the other options for me, e.g retraining? Do i need to start from scratch (I've about twenty years of teaching experience).

Hello and welcome.

I'm sure you'll get some comments when those already in NZ come online later.

Hello Maggi,

Just try to send as much information as you can. They are very helpful and if you're not sure what is needed, just email them and ask. I'm from Belgium, had to apply under Track 2 and got my registration confirmed today so it is possible.

Maggi,

A word to the wise. My OH applied via the track 2, and despite supplying the teaching council with everything they asked for and more, he was still declined. They do state something like "there are no guarantees with this route" so it is very possible that they will still decline you after spending money (and time) to put your application together. Having said that, it obviously results in some positive outcomes sometimes, and with the amount of time/money you will spend on the immigration process, this is really just a drop in the ocean!

My OH issue (or their issue) was that his teaching qualification was not awarded by an academic institution, and no amount of experience or excellent references were going to make up for that. We are in an ongoing discussion/fight with what is the best way for him to get recognised here. Their only suggestion to date has been for him to start from scratch, but they are supposedly working on some sort of upgrade qualification that can be done to top up where they think he is lacking (and others in a similar position).

If I were you, I would call up the teacher's council in person and try to gauge their response to your specific situation. They are as helpful on the phone as they can be (although you can't necessarily get through to someone who can give you all the answers). Good luck!

Hi, all

Thanks for the information and sorry for the late reply. I ve been busy preparing for IELTS exam and the results will be out next Friday. I ve asked for extension for my application till February next year. Not doing anything yet, anxiously waiting for the results before planning the next move.
    I m a bit puzzled as my qualification was considered comparable for immigration purposes but not for teacher registration. Does it mean the assessment is different for different purposes? By the way, my family has already got PR n my OH is going over this month. I ve been following this site for quite a while and it has given me much needed information as well as encouragement.

Does it mean the assessment is different for different purposes?
    Not exactly. What different bodies look for can be different, though.

Default Teaching qualification

Dear Maggi,
    Can pls share what is your qualification that is not comparable with NZ?

And RichieRoo,
    What is this "his teaching qualification was not awarded by an academic institution" that u are refering to ?

Thanks

Hello and welcome.

RachieRoo's husband trained under this UK scheme. http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teach...tions/gtp.aspx Because the majority of the training period is spent with the candidate based in a school, rather than in a college or university, so NZTC cannot contact an academic body for references, they currently refuse to accept this qualification, although it is known in the UK to be a full and respected training path.

I think they did not specifically mention which part, just a general statement that my qualification is not comparable. I was trained in a teacher collage and later a government university full time. I was doing TESL. Maybe i need to write back to ask. i was asked to sit for IELTS (this one cleared, I got 8), get testimonials, classroom assessment reports, CV and list down all the in-house and courses that i ve attended since I first started teaching (a daunting task as I ve not kept a proper record).

I am also advised to apply for reassessment. Is it feasible? I m afraid the outcome will most likely be the same after a hefty sum spent.

Can anyone give me a sample of an acceptable CV for teachers in NZ?

Is it possible for a non native speaker to teach English in NZ in a primary school? Do the teacher council only accept native speakers?

Default Dip Tchg

Relocate temporarily to Christchurch and attend the Grad School and get the best training and shortest route to a Dip Tchg. This is the only qualification the TC will recognise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast