Thread: Shipping a car in advance of main container

Question Shipping a car in advance of main container

Hi everyone

I have searched for the answer to this - and I am sure it has been asked before - but I just can't find it...

Can we ship a vehicle across from the UK several months in advance of our main container, without compromising the GST-free status of the goods in our main container?

Thanks

TTG

We did the opposite (sent container 2 months in advance of the container). There were no charges on either. To those who are not yet in NZ: You must be here before your car (or other shipment) to avoid GST/Duty.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...rges+apply.htm

I guess I didn't quite answer your question: All the shipments you make "for a reasonable time" after entering NZ are duty/GST free provided they meet the other criteria (eg: you must have owned them in your home country, they must be used, etc.).

That's good to hear - we were under the impression that you only had 'one bite' of the GST-free 'cherry'...

Thanks 72andsunny

TTG

TTG,

We recently brought the car in, inside our container. Curiously though, for customs purposes they are classed as two separate shipments anyway!!

HOwever we had various items sent air freight and by container, labelled personal effects and there was no GST on anything.