Thread: Are coupons (vouchers?) used in NZ groceries?

Default Are coupons (vouchers?) used in NZ groceries?

Not sure if the proper term is coupon or voucher. I get the impressions there is a subtle difference, so forgive me if I am confusing the two.

I believe they exist, but not sure if they have a significant impact on grocery costs.

My wife has joined the cult of couponing in the US and has probably cut 1/3 off our grocery bills recently. She's gotten quite good at using store double coupons with specials and manufacturer coupons, and sees it as sport in addition to cost savings.

Is this common in NZ? Do stores double coupons? Are there websites to help track coupon specials among the various grocers?

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Not necessarily coupons but there are some good websites that do deals. www.grabone.co.nz is the NZ version of www.groupon.com and there's others such as One Day Deals (sorry haven't got that site on me). I've used Groupon and already bought my first GrabOne deal ($10 coffee voucher for $4).

No doubt others will be along with more relevant answers!

There is much less emphasis on coupons and vouchers in NZ.

Even when there are coupons available then most often the checkout will just apply the saving without needing the coupon (or at least that happens to the shops in our area?).

Use of reward cards is more common e.g. One card, Fly buys etc.

Ian

Sorry to be self-serving, but interested if anyone has any more thoughts on this one. Thanks.

New World deliver their mailer every week (provided you don't have a "no junk mail" sign up). This lists the store's specials that week. My OH runs through this with a fine toothcomb to draw up a shopping list and we buy off that list. Many of the discounts are called "coupons" in the mailer but you don't actually need to bring the coupons along - they are automatically applied at the till to everyone.

Do supermarkets still do the "money off per litre of fuel"? I seem to recall getting reciepts that gave you 5c off per litre (or something like that) at certain participating fuel stations. We used a few of these on our last trip to get a wee bit of money off petrol.

Yes. 4c or 6c off Shell (and Gull I think) with spend at Countdown/Foodtown/Woolworths. I'd not be surprised if New World also had some similar deal. Pak 'n Shove do as well, but not sure what they offer in terms of discount or which fuel options.

Most receipts have deals listed on teh back, but I've never used any. Being honest by tthe time I've used my onecard, fly bys, used my mailer discount and kept the receipt for the petrol voucher I've lsot the will to live let alone read the offers.

I use vouchers on the back of the receipt occasionally.

Saved $5 of my WOF, and got a free movie rental...

Sometimes they will have you instore demonstrations and they will give you a voucher.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Yes. 4c or 6c off Shell (and Gull I think) with spend at Countdown/Foodtown/Woolworths. I'd not be surprised if New World also had some similar deal. Pak 'n Shove do as well, but not sure what they offer in terms of discount or which fuel options.
    Just to expand on this a bit further, the normal amounts are 4c, 6c or 8c and it is based on the amount of shopping you buy. But worth looking out for 20c and 25c offers which happen occasionally, and also check the amount of shopping required to be purchased to get the offer e.g. normally around $200.

Both main food chains offer the same discounts, and generally the same offer at the same time no doubt due to competition.

Also different shops provide vouchers for different petrol stations so if you partial to a particular fuel mixture etc then worth checking.

One last point, different vouchers have different validity periods e.g. some last for a month from purchase, others last e.g. 2 weeks.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Use of reward cards is more common e.g. One card, Fly buys etc.
    Expanding on this point slightly, if you use One card or Flybuys then you will occasionally also get vouchers sent through the post.

Also, additional reward points are also offered at certain times e.g. x2 number of points if you buy anything this weekend etc.

Ian