Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: don't use your family doc for medicals!

Angry don't use your family doc for medicals!

I need to vent (so don't read any furthur if that's not your cuppa)
    We are so unbelievably frustrated and angry after our experience today
    My husband and two of my children had their medicals today for our ITA

It turned out to be a train-wreck of epic proportions
    Apart from the cost and complete waste of time (OH took a day off work) it has proved to give us 20/20 hind-sight that we should've gone with a doctor that doesn't know us. Advice to future Canadians: don't use your family GP!
    We are now considering finding another doc, paying again and getting all of this re-done! What a supreme wasted effort! I am thinking those in countries that use panel doctors must have a better time of it as they are perhaps more used to the context of the questions on the forms.

Our family doc checked the 'yes' box repeatedly on all of their medicals for completely the wrong reasons. She said she had to 'protect herself' in case 'they' ever looked through her records! She didn't read the questions properly and felt she had to include every inane bit of trivia from over the years and blow it out of proportion which is going to make us look like invalids (or make her look like a fool) to nz. It is so ridiculous it would be funny if the consequences weren't so relative to us. The doc's own false findings weren't bad enough, our 9 yr old decided to ham it up and gave her a whole list of symptoms that aren't true that require furthur tests arrrrrrrrrrgh!

If we submit these medicals as is, they may all go to the MA (for 3 perfectly healthy individuals in our family!). I wonder will a CO or MA just laugh at the doctor's sheer stupidity for checking the 'yes' boxes for things that obviously don't matter or will they just find us too much trouble to read beyond the lines ??

There is being cautious and then there is just being over the top ridiculous. Any Canadians out there who didn't use their family doc?
    Everyone else (if you're still reading) would you re-do the medicals with another doc across town? Or just submit and hope for some kiwi common sense?

So sorry to hear you've had a bad day.

would you re-do the medicals with another doc across town? Or just submit and hope for some kiwi common sense?
    I would get them done again. From all those threads you've read on here, you know the COs have NO wiggle room, and have to take the paperwork that is sent in at face value. YOU know you are three people in good health and the doctor is overreacting, but the CO doesn't know any of you and has no reason to trust your opinion above the doctor's. That's the way I see it, anyway.

FWIW, I'd be inclined to agree with JandM and suggest you seek a GP who is familiar with NZ immi medicals, even if that means you have to travel a bit to find one. Sorry for the wasted money and stress

Oh, and I'd have some serious explanatory words with your offspring before the second shot, about there being times when a joke is no joke at all and slams doors for you.

The panel doctor we used performed our medicals at the same time inside an hour and charged £750 for his services (including X-Rays, blood tests, etc).

Only afterwards did we realise that he managed to completely mess up my wife's height and weight measurements giving her a BMI of 38. A frantic exchange of emails & phone calls got a revision with the corrected calculation giving her a more acceptable BMI of 27.

That sounds dreadful, Tui, and I would agree with JandM and Kanga- it is a lot of money, but it might be very brave to submit the medicals as they are. I don't think kiwi sense of humour comes into the equasion when medicals etc. are considered!
    Your 9year old might not even think about making these sort of "jokes" with a stranger!

I would do them again, but i'd also be concerned about getting in trouble - does it look bad that you had your medicals done twice?

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterby View Post
    I would do them again, but i'd also be concerned about getting in trouble - does it look bad that you had your medicals done twice?
    You wouldn't submit the first lot at all, so nobody would know the second lot were the second lot.

In fact panel doctors are more sensible and they are aware of sensitivity of each and every health check in medical report and its impact in the long run.So their interpretation towards general terms is more effective than usual GP

Quote Originally Posted by Tui2too View Post
    I need to vent (so don't read any furthur if that's not your cuppa)
    We are so unbelievably frustrated and angry after our experience today
    My husband and two of my children had their medicals today for our ITA

It turned out to be a train-wreck of epic proportions
    Apart from the cost and complete waste of time (OH took a day off work) it has proved to give us 20/20 hind-sight that we should've gone with a doctor that doesn't know us. Advice to future Canadians: don't use your family GP!
    We are now considering finding another doc, paying again and getting all of this re-done! What a supreme wasted effort! I am thinking those in countries that use panel doctors must have a better time of it as they are perhaps more used to the context of the questions on the forms.

Our family doc checked the 'yes' box repeatedly on all of their medicals for completely the wrong reasons. She said she had to 'protect herself' in case 'they' ever looked through her records! She didn't read the questions properly and felt she had to include every inane bit of trivia from over the years and blow it out of proportion which is going to make us look like invalids (or make her look like a fool) to nz. It is so ridiculous it would be funny if the consequences weren't so relative to us. The doc's own false findings weren't bad enough, our 9 yr old decided to ham it up and gave her a whole list of symptoms that aren't true that require furthur tests arrrrrrrrrrgh!

If we submit these medicals as is, they may all go to the MA (for 3 perfectly healthy individuals in our family!). I wonder will a CO or MA just laugh at the doctor's sheer stupidity for checking the 'yes' boxes for things that obviously don't matter or will they just find us too much trouble to read beyond the lines ??

There is being cautious and then there is just being over the top ridiculous. Any Canadians out there who didn't use their family doc?
    Everyone else (if you're still reading) would you re-do the medicals with another doc across town? Or just submit and hope for some kiwi common sense?

Are you able to get new medical forms easily? Don't they come with the pre-populated ITA? Or can you download them? If it were me, I would DEFINITELY get them done again. As others have noted, the COs have absolutely no wiggle room whatsoever and any kind of red flags off your medicals will have you going to the MA for sure.

How utterly frustrating for you!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast