Thread: When are you given WTR instead of PR

Default When are you given WTR instead of PR

Hi All

I've read a lot in the forum on people being interviewed and then offered WTR instead of PR. I understand the diffrence between the two but have just seen something in the "Application for Residence Guide" INZ 1105 which I hope someone can clarify.

On page 20 of the guide under the section on the "Application process", it talks about a second tier assessment which I assume is the telephone interview people talk about. This second tier assessment is to determine whether you have the ability to meet settlement and contribution requirements.

It does say, however, that if you have claimed points for having a qualification relevant to an occupation in an area of abolute skill shortage, INZ will assess you as having already demonstrated the ability to successfully settle in and contribute to NZ.

The question.

I have a qualification in an area of abolute skill shortage ie. auditor. I have had it assessed by NZQA and meet all the requirements for the qualification in an area of abolute skill shortage. Does this mean that I will not have to go through the interview process and that I am likely to get PR instead of WTR. Obviously as long as INZ have assessed everything else ie. medicals, work experience, police certs. etc as being ok.

Thanks.

That is a new one on me...basically I was told by the visa agent that you would be interviewed if you did not have a job offer to determine whether you could successfully settle. The visa agent in the UK told me it was unusual for UK citizens to receive WTR but that it sometimes happened if they required to take additional exams and work experience to work in their profession upon arriving in NZ.

Having said that, although the interview was scary at the time, in hindsight it was really just ensuring that I knew something about the country and had an idea of the difficulties that I might face.

Sorry that this will not be what you are hoping to hear.

The second-tier assessment they talk about is NOT the interview itself. If you read carefully, it is carried out before deciding whether or not you will NEED to be interviewed. See my bolding in the quote below from p. 20 on this link (the page you have been reading). http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd.../1105Dec15.pdf

If you are able to claim points for at least one of the following criteria you will be assessed by INZ as
    having demonstrated the ability to successfully settle in, and contribute to, New Zealand.
    • You qualify for 50 points for an offer of skilled employment in New Zealand or current skilled
    employment in New Zealand for less than 12 months or
    • You qualify for 60 points for current skilled employment in New Zealand for 12 months or more or
    • You have undertaken full time study for at least two years in New Zealand that has resulted in:
    • the award of a doctorate or master’s degree or
    • a qualification in an identified future growth area or relevant to an occupation in an absolute skills shortage area.

If you are not able to claim points for any of the above factors, you will be further assessed to determine whether you can demonstrate an ability to realise your potential to successfully settle and contribute to New Zealand. This assessment will be based on:
    • information obtained during a structured interview with you and other family members included in your application and

• all other information contained in your application for residence and
    • any further verification of your application (including information provided at interview).
    You also say this.

It does say, however, that if you have claimed points for having a qualification relevant to an occupation in an area of abolute skill shortage, INZ will assess you as having already demonstrated the ability to successfully settle in and contribute to NZ.
    Again, look at the passage quoted above. It isn't saying what you assumed. Bullet one says if you HAVE a job offer. Bullet two says if you HAVE A JOB IN NZ that you've already been working in for 12 months or more. Bullet three (and those following) say if you have a qualification of the sort they specify EARNED IN NZ.

As you've had to have your qualification assessed by NZQA, I think it must have been gained following study outside NZ. Therefore, although it is a qualification in an area of absolute skill shortage, it won't meet the criteria mentioned in this section to pass you through the second-tier assessment without interview.

Hey Jand

I have a query regarding the above posts, suppose I meet the above bullet point,

a qualification in an identified future growth area or relevant to an occupation in an absolute skills shortage area.

And they assess me further by telephone Interview.

Still I get WTR or is there any chance that I get PR as I met one of the above bulleted points they ask for.

BTW my application will be processed at Shanghai branch and myself and parter both IT professionals got 130 points without a job offer. After reading the forum extensively I noticed that it is very unlikely that you get PR without a job offer, specially if you're an Asian.

Regards
    Last edited by lilKiwi; 18th January 2011 at 12:32 AM.

Keep your hopes alive and be positive.
    I am also an IT professional from India with 110 points with no job offer...and i was lucky to be granted with PR
    its jst that you need to prepare well and you will get 95% of the interview preparation material from this forum...
    remaining 5% you need to explore over the web like where do you want to settle in NZ and why ? what attracts you in NZ and so on ..
    So dont worry...best of luck !!

The CO makes the decision over whether to grant Residence (the new name for PR) straight away, or not, for each person. The bullet point you quote qualifies you to get as far as the CO considering your case. And yes, there IS a chance you can get Residence. Work on the information for the interview, as target NZ says.

Thanks guys!

Hey Lilkiwi,

Since we are on the same timeline, can you help me with this.
    I need an NZQA's IQA for my OH qualification. Did you do this before applying EOI OR for your case it is exempted OR you are planning to do it now? Please let me know so that I can ask you some precise questions regarding IQA.
    cheers

Planing to do it before submitting the ITA.

@ Lilkiwi - Thank for the reply. The one thing that is bothering me is - IQA requires certified copies of curriculum/ syllabus, which is like +50 pages. How to certify all these pages?

How are you planning to get that certified (if necessary translated)? Are you going to send that whole booklet or are you going to send just the transcript which has all the courses on it? (I have seen people mentioning that in this forum)
    Also in my case, the curriculum my OH studied was the curriculum for the program 12 yrs ago. How can we find that and get certified. This has been bothering me.
    I think we need to do the IQA as early as possible coz it take minimum of 2 months.

Cheers