Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NZ Cinemas

Default NZ Cinemas

We all went to see "Despicable me" last night at Hoyts Moorehouse. Prices like the UK, extortionate, particularly if popcorn is added to the mix. However what impressed me most was the comfort of the seats and being able to stretch my legs out fully without touching the seats in front. With that amount of space it was such a comfortable experience.

Do NZ cinemas typically have this level of comfort?

yes and more we went to Sylvia Park a couple of weeks ago to NZ biggest screen it was Awesome,
    Hoyts also do cheaper screenings in their beanbag lounges which look fun or more expensive in their premiere
    NZ cinema is a nice experience in my opinion!

Every cinema I've been to in NZ has had more comfortable & spacious seats than any I ever went to in the UK. Even my 6ft 5" tall husband can sit comfortably.

Both our local cinemas do 'cheap' night on a Tuesday with $10 tickets, although it doesn't always apply if its a new release. Might be worth checking out for your local cinemas.

Also, I've become quite fond of Gold Class at the Event Cinema at the Albany Mega Centre. They even do the 'cheap' seats for them on a Tuesday reducing the cost by $10.00!

Anneliese

Some even have armrests that lift up to create a comfy bench. Some are licenced so you can take a glass of wine in to the film or have a barista so you can take a coffee in, I agree, much nicer than the UK.

And at the one in Te Awamutu there's sometimes an interval in the middle of the movie!
    Last edited by Carey; 19th September 2010 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling

And of course, there is the cinema in Wanaka......

"This small classic movie theatre located in Wanaka is a real find - The best thing is, just like the good old days, there’s an intermission!"

"Wanaka is well-known for its lake and stunning mountain backdrop. But it’s getting more and more well-known for its cinema.Y’see, Wanaka doesn’t have an every day, run-of-the-mill cinema. Oh no! Wanaka has a cinema unlike any other you’ve probably been in before.Instead of the usual regulation big screen complex, Cinema Paradiso has comfy old sofas, armchairs you can sink into, airline seats, a lazyboy and even three seats inside an old yellow Morris Minor. Now you don’t see that every day. So once you’ve found a good spot, go and check out the cinema’s café and bar, where you can enjoy a scrummy meal either before, during or after the movie. There’s melt-in-the-mouth freshly baked cookies still warm from the oven, a selection of dips, garlic bread, home-made pizza and wraps or, for the really hungry, there’s Thai yellow curry, Paradiso lasagne, fish pie or a steak sandwich. And it doesn’t stop there. You can wash it all down with a cold beer or chilled wine, or warm yourself up with a freshly brewed coffee or hot chocolate. Oh, and don’t forget the yummy cakes, slices and ice-cream! The best thing is, just like the good old days, there’s an intermission. So if you get the munchies half way through the film, you can stock up during the break. Or if you didn’t have time to have dinner beforehand, order it before the show and it will be ready at half-time! You could even order a dessert to enjoy after the movie ends. Magic! It’s just like being round your mates’ house, except you’re watching the movie with a whole theatre-full of randoms and you can’t beat it for the comfort factor!"

Rachel Pinder - backpackerboard.co.nz - October 2009

Reading Cinema in Courtenay Place in Wellington, you get to book your seat, nice!

My fave is Lighthouse Cinema - our local is in Pauatahanui - where we got a snack beforehand in the cafe, and then watched kingfishers flitting around in the nature reserve. We settled in to the film with a glass of wine each, on the loveseat (2-person sofa, not sure if 'loveseat' is just a US term or not).

I haven't landed at NZ yet. How much is the full price of movie tickets, especially the new releases during weekends?

You should try Thames cinema, I thought we had stepped back in time . Very Tacky and uncomfortable chairs

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty69 View Post
    You should try Thames cinema, I thought we had stepped back in time . Very Tacky and uncomfortable chairs
    Are they still the old Air NZ seats? I once had a seat that was in constant recline, so moved, only for the chair to almost tip over!

Watched LOTR Return of the King there and they had an interval, and Terminator 3 a green line going down the screen so we got free tickets.

Now in Rotorua, very comfortable seats, pokey cinema (although we might have been in one of the minor screens) and there were just the two of us for a screening of Under the Mountain.

Fye - not sure about big city cinemas but here you're looking at about $15 a ticket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast