Thread: Beds

Default Beds

Hubby and I are at loggerheads.

Apart from our super duper kingsize bed which is quite new, the other beds are getting on a bit (8-13 years old). Hubby (fretting over costs) says we should take them. I say replace them. Also, we do not want to be sleeping on airbeds for six to eight weeks.

I am sure the answer could be on this forum somewhere ... but can anyone tell us how much, say, a bog standard single bed costs? (Then I can tell hubby I will pay for them myself!!!!) :

bring the beds but buy new mattresses.

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    bring the beds but buy new mattresses.
    ditto

Default We Brought and Bought!

We brought our King and Guest Queen. We sold the kid single in the US. Cost $150 to replace it with a cheap used one! Looked in 3-4 stores, from med end to low end... outrageous! 350 - 550 for what we considered to be total junk! Bring the furniture! You can sell beds easy here if you decide you dont want them later.

What about mattress / bedding sizes? Are they the same as the UK, or the US?? :?

Hmmmm, I guess I should give in to hubby and let the beds go with us. :

In our case it is no point taking the beds and buying new mattresses in NZ as the beds are in worse state than the mattresses! (They were cheap divans in the first place.) But, the point is that they will suffice for another five years or more, perhaps, with a few make-do repairs. ... Well, we are kiwis in training(!)

Default Bed Sizes

Queen and Kings seen to be the same as the us.
    Standard usa twins are called King Single in NZ. The other smaller NZ singler is a toddler size bed. The king single would last through the teenage years. Then, in NZ they have a double bed- which is a Full sizein the US (smaller than a queen).
    hope that helps. Our linens all fit here.
    Jen

Hi Glenda

Just a week to go now isn't it ? How are you feeling ?
    Haven't been on the forum for several days so I have only just read your thread on beds.

For what it is worth here are the issues we faced.

On arrival we purchased to single beds, which are classed as queen-sized singles ( nothing smaller available) and these cost $550 each. Best deal we could find and we haven't seen much cheaper since.

We brought our double bed and the mattress from the spare double bed, but not the base. Both these beds were standard doubles, while over here most beds are queen or king size. We now need just a double sized base for the spare mattress and while most stores advertise doubles, they are more interested in selling base and mattress in queen or king size.

I have to say that the mattresses over here are sooooo soft. Most of them have an extra layer over the top of the mattress and we are now toying with the idea of buying a complete new bed, base and mattress and using the other in the spare room.

Prices seem rather high, with some as much as $7,000. You can get them for much less, but I guess you get what you pay for and as a third of our lives are spent in bed, I guess a sound investment is important.

Northland is still topping the temperture charts over here. Been 18 or 19 all week. Even here in Cambridge it has been more like a UK summer since last weekend.

Pam & Dave

Hi Pam and Dave,

Thanks for the info. We will be buying one single bed in NZ, the rest we have now added to the shipper's inventory. Hope we can find one at around $550. :smile

Yes ... this time next week we should be eating airline food. Suddenly there is lots to do and not enough hours to do it. Still looking forward to it ... no doubts. :smile

Hope the Northland temperatures stay up a bit for us ... we will miss our summery weather. Don't know if you still follow UK weather, but last week it was around 15-17 degrees, today and the next week will be 25-32 degrees. It has hardly rained for weeks either ... hosepipe bans probably coming up.

Read your NZ updates when I get online (which is less nowadays). Will have to add my own soon. :? :smile

We are going to have about a 1 month period ( I hope that is all!) period in a rental with no furniture so we are going to buy some beds on arrival. I have been pricing Tempur Pedics both in LA and in NZ and I have to say I was quite pleased, they are only a little bit more expensive in NZ. These are not that cheap to begin with but still not bad!

Chris