Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chances of a fresh business graduate landing a job?

Default Chances of a fresh business graduate landing a job?

Hi guys, I am trying to move to NZ and I am caught in the catch 22 situation right now.

If I can find a job, I would be able to get the points I need to make my skilled migrant application. If I can't land a job, my plan of emigrating to NZ goes up in smoke.

I have heard that it is relatively easy to find IT and engineering jobs; but I am a fresh business degree graduate. Do you think I can land myself a skilled business related job to secure that 50 points?

I am mainly interested in Human Resource positions but I will take any business related job that allows me to gain that 50 points.

I plan to fly over to New Zealand soon for interviews.

What are my chances of finding a skilled business related job like? Are employers really willing to wait three to six months for us to get our visa processed?
    Last edited by minnysian; 20th September 2010 at 02:40 AM.

bump can anyone help me out?

Sorry you haven't had any replies. I guess everyone finds it difficult to look into a crystal ball, and most people just go forward with hope.

I don't know anything to tell you about your prospects of finding a job. I can tell you, though, that it's true that NZ businesses recruiting a person they want from overseas do understand about having to have the immigrant paperwork processed, and will settle a start-date in the future to take account of that.

I wonder, have you looked at the possibilities of Silver Fern and/or WH visas? It is always easier to convince NZ employers to take a person seriously when they are right there in the country. I'm afraid many of them have suffered from overseas timewasters, and therefore tend to be cynical about approaches from overseas if the person hasn't made an investment of money or effort (shown by having started the visa process and/or got themselves to NZ to meet face to face).

Hi JandM, thanks for your reply.

Are you saying that if I get my ass down to NZ and arrange for interviews face to face, I would have a somewhat decent chance of landing a job?

Nobody can promise you anything, but many forumites tell about going this route. On average, I think it has to be true that the foreign applicant who is there in NZ to be met and interviewed is right at the head of the queue compared with any others sending CVs from abroad. Some people over the age limit for WHV, and before Silver Fern came in, have even taken the chance of travelling to NZ to job-seek on a Visitor's Visa (then putting in for a Work Permit once they got an offer).

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Nobody can promise you anything, but many forumites tell about going this route. On average, I think it has to be true that the foreign applicant who is there in NZ to be met and interviewed is right at the head of the queue compared with any others sending CVs from abroad. Some people over the age limit for WHV, and before Silver Fern came in, have even taken the chance of travelling to NZ to job-seek on a Visitor's Visa (then putting in for a Work Permit once they got an offer).
    I can't qualify for a working holiday visa. I guess I will go in on a visitor visa and look for jobs then.

Life really sucks here, I can't wait to get out.

Worth trying Silver Fern? Despite the website saying that the quota is full, there have been two people posting on the forum just recently saying they've been accepted to apply, so they must be filling dropout places.

Thanks it is full. I am planning to go to NZ early year anyway so no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by minnysian View Post
    I can't qualify for a working holiday visa. I guess I will go in on a visitor visa and look for jobs then.

Life really sucks here, I can't wait to get out.
    I second that

Quote Originally Posted by minnysian View Post
    Thanks it is full. I am planning to go to NZ early year anyway so no biggie.
    Did you discover that just from the wordings on the SFV page or by filling up the application form and submitting it? Coz it always says that it's full on the page, but it may go through via the application form

Not quite sure of your status right now!.

However I may be able to provide you with a more clear pic.

NZ employers look for very specific things when it comes to recruitment ( Business Management stream).

1) You would need to have high level of experience in relation to a specialized area ( Such as quality management , Workforce Management ) preferably in a multinational company.
    2) New Zealand experience.
    3) Preferably a New Zealand qualification. ( Could be Undergraduate / Postgraduate qualification ).
    4) Available in the country ( NZ) with one year of full time work permit left.

If you have fulfilled above criteria, the chances are you will find jobs without any issue. Landing on Managerial/Executive level job that is good enough to get you the residency , Via business management stream , would depend on how well you have fulfilled the above criteria.

100% or above fulfilment of points that I mentioned above coupled with winning attitude and commitment to succeed would surly place in a Managerial/Executive level job in no time.

** Mind – What I have mentioned above is only valid for Business Management stream applicants looking to secure , Managerial /Executive level job that will push them over skilled migrant visa towards residency.

This information is based on my own experience, Unfortunately having lived in the country for 2 yrs , I’m yet to find a single person who had secured residency upon completing a NZ qualification in Management stream. ( Not to mention having a foreign qualification).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast