Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Experience of not shipping any furniture...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

mm
    Last edited by Bobbo; 20th September 2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Not completed

whats the story bobsy?

Annoyingly I just boffed up the original message then went to edit it, wrote it all out posted it and had exceeded the time limit and lost it all

Red face 3rd time lucky...

I thought I would (try again to) share our experience of not shipping any furniture with us in the hope it might help someone make the decision to send or not to send...

We made the decision to not ship any of our furniture over from the UK as we only had a few things we were fond of, the rest was tat we'd bought when setting up house (MFI and IKEA mostly). We sold as much as possible on eBay and got buttons for the majority of it (10 for my 350 pine table was the most heartbreaking) and the rest went to family, friends or charity.

Everything else we owned that would fit in a tea chest was shipped - all the photos, computer, kitchenware, games consoles, keepsakes, books, clothes, bedding, toys etc etc... 17 tea chests, 5 book boxes and 3 guitars was all we owned when we arrived in NZ - shipped with SevenSeas for around 1000 all together plus insurance and some GST - not bad I think...! It would have cost less but we shipped it in two lots, half the first time we came over, with the second half stored with the in-laws in UK then shipped over when we returned to NZ in August this year.

We have been living in short term fully furnished properties the whole time we have lived in NZ (including the first time around) which was handy but didn't really help with the settling in being surrounded with other people's furniture and possessions. Now we have bagged ourselves a long term unfurnished property and have been out shopping to furnish an entire 4 bedroom house!

We decided that as we'd never had decent stuff before we'd get things we like this time and not just whatever was going cheap - partially because we like nice things but also we thought it might help us settle in! We also decided that we weren't going to pay RRP for anything and to push our haggling abilities to the limit because we might like nice things but we don't have a bottomless pit of $$!

So here's how we've done: 2 queen beds, king single pop-up bed (2 beds in 1), 2 bedside tables, tallboy, dresser + mirror, 2 small bookcases, large corner lounge suite + footstool, solid wood TV unit, 46" LED TV, solid wood dining table + 6 chairs, solid wood buffet cabinet, large fridge/freezer, 7kg front loading washing machine, dryer, vacuum cleaner, microwave, toaster, kettle, iron, ironing board and sandwich toaster!! Phew! All for the grand total of $13,200 (youch) saving over $8000 on the RRPs! We're not finished yet either, but that's the basics I think!

I'm really hoping that's cheaper than it would have cost to buy the nice stuff in the UK and ship it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
    So here's how we've done: 2 queen beds, king single pop-up bed (2 beds in 1), 2 bedside tables, tallboy, dresser + mirror, 2 small bookcases, large corner lounge suite + footstool, solid wood TV unit, 46" LED TV, solid wood dining table + 6 chairs, solid wood buffet cabinet, large fridge/freezer, 7kg front loading washing machine, dryer, vacuum cleaner, microwave, toaster, kettle, iron, ironing board and sandwich toaster!! Phew! All for the grand total of $13,200 (youch) saving over $8000 on the RRPs! We're not finished yet either, but that's the basics I think!
    Oh, where have you been shopping? Did you buy it all at the same store? Are you giving lessons in haggling? Not that I need to buy anything as we shipped all our "tat" with us, but I'm rubbish at haggling on stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lin View Post
    Oh, where have you been shopping? Did you buy it all at the same store? Are you giving lessons in haggling? Not that I need to buy anything as we shipped all our "tat" with us, but I'm rubbish at haggling on stuff.
    You can haggle some crazy deals if you buy a number of items at the same location. For example, we got a $700 washing machine talked down to $350 since it was a display model (still had the box and all the paperwork) when we bought a refrigerator and microwave at the same location. We purchased all three items, with free delivery for just over $1000 NZD.

One good thing to do is to look like you have done your research. My wife had a paper will all sorts of notes and prices from all the other stores we had visited and was writing prices and info down as the salesman spoke. of course the salesman saw this, and every time we had that paper out they would usually start cutting the price, offer free delivery or some other deal right at the beginning before we even attempted haggling.
    Last edited by TJH; 21st September 2010 at 06:12 PM.

Sorry but I would have to perhaps disagree on some of this as it does help with settling in if you have a few familiar things around. Also the secondhand market here is good so if you bring something over then replace it you are pretty sure of being able to sell it for more than peanuts. ok it maybe offset by the hassle of packing but that to me was a small price to pay for the ease at this end.

Fair enough, just sharing our experiences not making any recommendations!

Useful info, thanks for posting! I'm always thinking most of what we own is not as nice as the Rimu dressers we bought in NZ (and shipped to Canada). I'd look forward to shopping in NZ again.

We came here with nothing more than 3 suitcases each. We sold everything in the US and have been able to setup a new home here for less than total income generated from the sale. When we researched this extensively prior to moving, it just did not make financial sense to ship. We have just recently finished outfitting an entire house from nothing (it has been a yearlong process) for about $8k NZD. I am sure there are other things we will gradually get, but this is what got us to our "baseline" of what we consider comfortable living.

So far we have been correct in our personal assessment of this in our situation. We did not have a lot of stuff in the US, but if you did it may make more sense to ship.

I guess it also depends on how attached you are with your possessions. Most of our photos, and other keepsake stuff is at my parents house in the US and we will eventually ship that over. Other than those sorts of things, about the greatest attachment I have with anything we own, is my prized pair of handmade leather tramping boots that are completely broken-in and molded to my feet. Now those are important!!
    Last edited by TJH; 21st September 2010 at 03:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast