Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Engineering Vs Computer Science

Default Computer Engineering Vs Computer Science

I have a B.Sc Engineering degree specialized in Computer Engineering. But for ICT Professional I claimed points for experience and bonus point for abosolute skill shortage which require Level 7 bachelors degree majoring in computer science.

Eventhough the name shows Computer Engineering i have computer science in my transcript. But NZQA wont give any letter saying this has computer science major. Otherthing is my university is in the list of universities exempted for assessment in immigration NZ web.

Can any body help me out to solve this issue to prove that my degree is majoring in computer sciences??

Quote Originally Posted by kumar View Post
    Otherthing is my university is in the list of universities exempted for assessment in immigration NZ web.
    Pardon me but if your university is exempted from NZQA assessment, why did you submit your degree for assessment?

INZ staff are quite strict on the guidelines. And Computer Engineering is just not the same as Computer Science.

However, somewhere on the LTSSL it is mentioned that you can claim points for it if you have worked in that field for at least 5 years (duration depends on the job). You just need some sort of official letter from your company to confirm that your work is closely related to Comp Sci.

My answer is frustratingly vague, I know. Consider it preparation for the type of open-speak you will commonly encounter on your visa journey towards Aotearoa :P

If in doubt, contact INZ as they have the final say.

I didn't apply for NZQA, but i send a query to them requesting the possiblity to assess my qualification and it is majoring in computer science.

How can i prove that my degree majoring in computer science??

Default Hi

Welcome to the forum...

What is the degree you followed and what is the university you studied?

kumar: The only way to do that is to show that the subjects you took in uni are VERY similar to the Comp Sci curriculum here. Via course structures and detailed subject descriptions.

If it's more similar to Comp Eng, then that's what you'll get assessed with. There's no way to fudge it.

I have a B.Sc Engineering degree from peradeniya university.

I compared the subjects with few universities, subjects which are majoring the computer science are in my curriculum, Can any body suggest best computer science program in new zealand to compare with?

kumar: The highest ranked uni in NZ is Uni of Auckland, so that should be most convincing.

Don't forget to look at the majority. It's pointless if 3 or 4 subjects match Comp Sci but the other 20 match Comp Eng.

Good luck!

Default help...

my OH sent his qualitfications up to NZQA for assessment. He too holds a Computer Engineering degree but is majoring computer science.

The result came back with just level 7 results (which we already know we are)

NZQA did not help prove my OH engineering degree is also considered computer science... how can we go abt it?

fayevalentine: Didn't the NZQA result has something written like Level 7 Degree in Information Technology or something like that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast