Thread: Young people

Default Young people

I firmly believe that with my depth of experience in IT-skills that I should be able to make a reasonable stab at gaining employment in this area in New Zealand.

However, what I REALLY need to know is just how difficult it is for the under-25s to find work.

By the time I get there fully I will have one dependent armed with a Degree in Politics and one (hopefully) with a Degree in English.

Would they be able to train as teachers or journalists in NZ?

There's at least one journo on the forum, so I'll make sure she sees this post as she may have insight into trainee schemes.

As I'm sure you've seen then IT has currently a bit of an oversupply issue in NZ at the moment. Obviously IT is too broad a term to use in many cases, but even in general then it seems that there's a lot of people struggling.

until you have resided for 2 years, you will have to pay full uni fees.

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    until you have resided for 2 years, you will have to pay full uni fees.
    I don't think this is correct. If you have PR, you get the same rate as NZ citizens regardless of how long you have been in country. My wife is at Massey and enrolled only 3 months after stepping foot in NZ and got the resident/citizen rates and was told this would be the case at all the other uni's she applied to. There are some restrictions on student loans until you hit the two year mark as a resident.

I have no idea what the rates are if you are on a work visa.
    Last edited by TJH; 22nd September 2010 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJH View Post
    I don't think this is correct. If you have PR, you get the same rate as NZ citizens regardless of how long you have been in country. My wife is at Massey and enrolled only 3 months after stepping foot in NZ and got the resident/citizen rates and was told this would be the case at all the other uni's she applied to. There are some restrictions on student loans until you hit the two year mark as a resident.

I have no idea what the rates are if you are on a work visa.
    From our daughter's study:
    Domestic student fees etc. apply immediately after gaining PR;
    student benefits and the like only after two years PR.

ah i see, sorry!

(and isn't the OP suggesting that his dependants would have graduated by the time they arrive anyway?)