Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Cameras

Default Digital Cameras

I'm after your advise:-

To join the 21st century, make it far easier to share photo's of our little family and not waste soooo much money on development costs of photo's that turn out to be out of focus - we've finally decided to buy a digital camera

But as we know nothing about them, and don't want to be 'conned' by crafty salesmen telling us about features we simply 'must have', we could really do with some advise from you digital camera users out there.

We're definately not looking to spend more than £200, and aren't looking to win any photograhic prizes. Just need a fairly easy to use camera, that will allow zoom in/out, and upload onto a PC.

Any suggestions and or tips to what we must look out for are much appreciated

Babette

I have a sony dsc-p93 5.1 megapixels with a 3x optical zoom. It was recommended to me by a computer buff - i am no photograper and only have the basic technical knowledge of these things but it is really easy to use and puting photos onto the computer is really easy and copying to a disc too. A good website to check out prices online is

http://www.pixmania.co.uk

I got my camera and extra memory card etc much cheaper there than anywhere else.

Will let you have a play with it at the meeting in July if you want!

I agree with Marcia.

You wont and can't go far wrong with anything SONY. They're dead easy to use and you should be more than happy with the results. The pc interface is USB and the memory sticks are cheap as chips, when you consider how much you can store on them.

Welcome to the 21st century.

John

I have to chime in I have a Sony and it was OK, the color was not all that great and I have a friend with the same camera who had it break soon after buying it. I would not buy another Sony still camera but I do have a video camera from them I like as well as laptop I am writing this on and various AV equipment.

I now own a Nikon which I love (but is very pricey) I would suggest looking at Cannon they make very good cameras.

I have a cannon A85, great camera with loads of features and takes brilliant photos. It got a 85% rating with no bad points in a recent digital camera magazine. You can also buy loads of extras ie. filters, macro lenses, underwater cases etc.

Will be bringing it on the 9th if you want to have a play(that's the camera I mean ) Will also bring the mag if I can find it.

As I believe at this moment, Canon is the best for digital imaging.
    Even though, my digi. cam is SONY
    however, in the long run when I buy the 35mm Digi SLR, I would definately go with Canon.

Make sure when u buy digi. cam it has (at least/minimum) of 3.0 or up Mega Pixels.

We've got a Canon S70 which is really easy to use and has great results. I have no idea how much they are selling for - but seeing as its a few months old I'm guessing they will have gone down dramatically in price since we got ours. My friend has the Canon S60 (previous model) which she also loves and finds easy to use.

Debs

I have a Minolta Dimage S414 (discontinued I think). It cost well under £200 and came with software etc and 64mb CF card. Very easy to use and as far as I am concerned, great results. It is 4 meg with x4 optical zoom plus another x4 digi zoom. A bit on the large side compared to some I have seen, and maybe a tad heavy as well. But it suits my purposes. I got it from empire direct on line for £179

Hi Babette,

If it were me I would stick with the Canon, for £200 you should be able to get something like the A95 (5 MP, 3x optical zoom).

I've just had a look and Pixmania:
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1045...rshot-a95.html
    have the above for £175. Anne has an A75 (3 MP) and it is excellent. The advantage with the Canon's is that they use Compact flash memory, which is at the moment the most cost effective. Pixmania again do a deal with a 256 MB CF card:
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1100...mpact-fla.html

Hope this helps. :P

Mark. :P

Mark and I each have a Fuji Finepix 4800 zoom. Speaking for myself, I'm certainly NO camera buff but I get some fantastic pics just by aiming and pressing. It also has a video function which will take up to 80 seconds of footage with sound.

I understand that these actual cameras are discontinued and have been replaced by a newer version.

Can't speak for any other makes and models but we're big fans of the Fuji Finepix cameras and can say (beg headedly) that we've had some brilliant results.

Happy shopping.

Diny

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast