Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auckland Airport car rental

Default Auckland Airport car rental

Gday, has anyone rented a car recently from or near the airport they would recommend on price? I've been looking around for the cheapest price, there seem to be dozens of companies.

Thanks
    Billy

I believe I used Alamo. Their price was good. The mistake I made in my jet-lagged stupor was to accept the vehicle insurance. I never do that in the States as it is a rip-off. But I was concerned about my ability to drive on the left side especially when I was tired.

I forgot that the insurance would have been covered by my credit card, so cost myself about $350.

We used Apex Car rentals best prices we could find.

Yep - Apex is usually one of the best rates - not far from the airport.

Most of the NZ owned companies are pretty reasonable: Apex, Jucy, Go...there's a couple more I can't think of at the moment.

Drawbacks:

1) The cars tend to be a bit older (or rather a lot older) than you would get from a multinational. It's rather like being a real Kiwi, though.

2) They typically don't open until 8AM...if you're on an early flight, the airport is a pretty dull place to wait.

3) The office/cars are a couple of km from the airport. They all have free shuttles, but see #2 above.

Ace worked well for me. Caveats are as 72andsunny said.

I've booked through Ace who guarantee you the lowest price - they'll beat any other quote you get.

Quote Originally Posted by SueDonim View Post
    I believe I used Alamo. Their price was good. The mistake I made in my jet-lagged stupor was to accept the vehicle insurance. I never do that in the States as it is a rip-off. But I was concerned about my ability to drive on the left side especially when I was tired.

I forgot that the insurance would have been covered by my credit card, so cost myself about $350.
    Normally, I reject extra insurance, too. But my travel agent recently booked my car with insurance and with no deductible, too.

And then I wrecked the car!! At night--with a suicidal possum hurling itself under the car! Yikes!! I couldn't believe that such a tiny creature could cause so much damage. So it was REALLY AWESOME to have that insurance!

RIP possum

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    Normally, I reject extra insurance, too. But my travel agent recently booked my car with insurance and with no deductible, too.

And then I wrecked the car!! At night--with a suicidal possum hurling itself under the car! Yikes!! I couldn't believe that such a tiny creature could cause so much damage. So it was REALLY AWESOME to have that insurance!

RIP possum
    Fair point that. I wouldn't want to be without insurance, but don't want to pay unnecessarily. Just remember to check with your credit card provider to see if they provide coverage before you make your reservation

Also, it's worth checking exactly what the insurance given with your credit card covers, compared with what's locally on offer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast