Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thyroid

Default Thyroid

Does anyone know if under active thyroid (requiring drugs for the rest of my days, doc says, though I'll be investigating alternatives) is any cause for concern in getting into NZ??

Dinnafesh

I don't think so. A few people on the forum have that trouble (or similar controllable conditions i.e. diabetes etc.) as long as it is controlled I don't think you have anything to worry about.

What they are mainly looking for is TB, Aids, cancer etc. More terminal illnesses rather than managable ones.

Good luck anyway but don't worry all should be well.

Jo

Does anyone know if under active thyroid (requiring drugs for the rest of my days, doc says, though I'll be investigating alternatives) is any cause for concern in getting into NZ??

Absolutely non whatsoever.

I too have this same thing and I'm here.

They look for problems that are going to be a drain on their system, and as you will have to pay for your medication this will not count. I have not visited the doc for my prescription yet so can't tell you what to expect.

Thanks, Jan - maybe you could let me know when you've been, so I have some idea how much it's going to cost! :

I'm currently investigating all the alternative routes - supplements (kelp, magnesium, thyroid health), acupuncture and massage. Apparently my pec muscles are very tight, and my heart had moved slightly - both bound to affect energy and breathing which makes me wonder how much my thyroid is actually to blame. :? Anyway, we'll see how it goes!

Join the club, had it for 8 years, various dosages of thyroxine and no problem at all at the medical, got PR.

So don't worry.

Default health

Hi all

I don't know anything about thyroids but it seems to be something fairly manageable as opposed to something costly and draining on the health service. ( just draining on the person that has it)

I knew all the TB concerns and had a form of TB ( not lung) , 40 years ago,as a 4 year old so declared it on my health and x ray forms. Yesterday, the consultant radiologist ticked all the wrong boxes, then crossed them all out again and had another go. The form looked a mess and it looked like I have active TB which I don't.

The secretary seemed amazed that I pointed out he had incorrectly filled out the form and thought it would be best left to the next medical dr to sort out. After an hours drive each way, I had to insist on returning the form for correction with a very polite letter pointing out the mistakes. She spoke to the consultant who remembered my form and having trouble with it!

Has any one else had any problems TB styley?

Deborah

Hi Dinnaefash,

I myself have thyroid problems (hypothyroidism) and it didn't cause anyproblem to my application.

-jinkee

Can anyone tell me whether I will have to pay for Thyroxine in NZ?? :?

Default thyroids

Hi

we should maybe start a club as I too have hypothyroidism : and was given PR no problems.

Haven't had a blood test or repeat prescription yet as managed to get an extra one before I left the UK

Lisa :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dinnaefash
    Can anyone tell me whether I will have to pay for Thyroxine in NZ?? :?
    Using this link http://www.pharmac.govt.nz/interactive/index.asp, I found that Thyroxine goes for $34/1000 at 50 mcg and $38/1000 at 1000mcg. Not bad.

Dinnaefash, with a name like that, you have hypertight muscles? Relax and dinnaefash .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast