Thread: ideas for kid friendly holiday

Default ideas for kid friendly holiday

I am flying out with hubby and kids age 4/6(boys) in March/April to activate our PR for 2 weeks holiday.
    Planning on starting in AKL and definitely spending a few days there as I have friends there. Want to check out Welly and Christchurch. I have been there before, but not rest of family. Bearing in mind I will have 2 kids in tow any idea of a family friendly driving route encompassing those 3 places. We may well drive down to Christchurch and then fly back to AKL, not sure yet.
    I definitely want to hit some beaches for them.
    Thanks.

I don't think you can take rental cars across the ferry. Maybe not all rental cars but my last Hertz rental said NO WAY on the paperwork. Plus, the ferry is expensive.

Plus, unlike the US, there is usually a large fee for drop off at a different location than pick up.

Just things off the top of my head.

Oh, that reminded me--I think there are usually rental specials on RVs from Christchurch to Auckland. People generally rent from Auckland to Chch so they need people to take them the other direction.

Some friends did it recently but they are in Australia at the moment so can't call and ask.

IIRC, you get to take the RV to Akld for FREE!! They give you 7 days to make the trip and even pay for the ferry across for you.

I don't know if you would want to do it in 7 days but it might work. Fly into Christchurch, stay a couple days locally. Then pick up the RV and head north, stop in Wellington and then go on to Auckland and turn it in and then stay a few days in Akld and fly out.

We had an RV in the US and it was loads of fun for the kids. Especially when you do a lot of driving. And you can stop lots along the way.

We may end up doing it ourselves next year.

re taking rental car onto ferry: Different companies different options. However often it is cheaper to drop the one car of and start with the other on the other island.

Re specials you have to look here:
    http://www.transfercar.co.nz/browseall

Much fun!!

This may be of use for the journey back

http://www.jucy.co.nz/specials/#2

I believe they also have this deal for hire cars.

Emma