Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customs Tax/Duty Tax?

Default Customs Tax/Duty Tax?

I can't believe that I haven't researched this more. I need help/advice!

Our container with all of our goods is due to arrive in the next two weeks. I was just told by our moving company that our work visas do not qualify for duty free status.

Does anyone have any idea the estimate on duty/customs taxes for a 40 ft container of our crap!?
    I'm terrified that we won't be able to "bail our stuff out"

Help!

Check out this site:

http://www.customs.govt.nz/library/F...tm#paraTitle08

It appears to say at the bottom that if your work visa is for more than 12 months it is ok.
    Last edited by Mamee & Co; 28th September 2010 at 09:15 PM.

I assume you've got the value of the goods from the shipping insurance, and then you should be able to work it out. GST is unfortunately going to be 15%, and duty will be between 0% and about 15%. Big ticket items seem to be at the lower end though, clothes were one of the higher ones IIRC.

Edit to say that the link above has the rates. Good work
    Last edited by Duncan74; 28th September 2010 at 09:31 PM.

how long are your work visas for? im sure that with a work permit, theres no gst. send a pm to l00pback who has massive knowledge of the intricate workings of gst and shipments.

I am terrible with this kind of stuff.

Doesn't this mean you do not have to pay gst on household goods, as long as you fall withing one of the listed below or do you have to fall in all of them?

- has arrived in New Zealand; and
    - holds a document authorising residence in New Zealand at the time of importation of the goods; and
    - has resided outside New Zealand for more than 21 months; and
    - has owned and personally used the goods prior to importation into New Zealand.

Wait I just noticed the and part after each one
    Last edited by Addicted to NZ; 29th September 2010 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrown View Post
    I was just told by our moving company that our work visas do not qualify for duty free status.
    We were told the same thing by our moving company, as it turns out our visas did qualify. Apparently, they just want to be ready in case customs asks them for money. Do you hold any of these?
    – A New Zealand passport
    – An Australian passport
    – A current New Zealand residence visa or permit, or a current returning resident’s visa or permit
    – A current permanent residence visa (including a resident return visa) issued by the Government of the Commonwealth of Australia
    – A current New Zealand work visa or work permit that was issued for a minimum of 12 months
    – A current New Zealand work visa or work permit, issued under the Work to Residency (Skilled Migrant Category) policy or the Long Term Business Visa/ Permit category
    – A current New Zealand visitor’s visa or permit that was issued for a minimum of 3 years.

2) If memory serves, we were trapped by the claimed value of the container, which made our job to come up with a number for each item so that the total matches. "Personal effects" are not subject to duty/gst. (Ask the shipper for a more detailed list...I remember sporting goods are considered personal effects.)
    http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...al+effects.htm

cbrown, I see you have applied for PR - you are currently in the country on what basis?

Thanks for the reminder just in case! We have unpacked and started using some new stuff!

CB, you guys shouldn't be too bad on the stuff you purchased, we were thinking you'll be OK?

Hugs and good luck and arghhhhhhhhhh we hope to be there soon....

I'm here on a work visa. Currently have a CO and awaiting PR. Unfortunately, my current work visa is only for 8 months...
    Looks like we are in trouble....

This is just an impression, but... Surely they don't charge full rate GST on items other than something obviously new? (Just thinking, cbrown, if your belongings are used, like most home contents, they wouldn't be worth as much. I hope so, for your sake.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast