Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giveway rule about to give way to normal giveway rule

Default Giveway rule about to give way to normal giveway rule

Title makes about as much sense as the rule did IMHO

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...ange-confirmed

A bit surprised the change will come in just AFTER RWC, as I'd have thought that there were advantages to changing to the same system in the rest of the world before the peak of tourists driving round, but at least it's scheduled to change.

Based on those graphics, it appears red cars must always give way to green ones.

Note to self: Buy a green car.

Default NZ's right-hand rule set for change

The header above is clearer

see http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10629628

I think it is really better doing it after RWC. Imagine all Kiwis trying to follow the new rule with all these tourists on the streets too.

Quote Originally Posted by SueDonim View Post
    Based on those graphics, it appears red cars must always give way to green ones.

Note to self: Buy a green car.
    Westpac bank have displayed some remarkable forward-thinking Kiwi ingenuity in this regard...

Their company cars are red Toyota Prius's, and the graphics on the side declare: "This car is red" but with the "red" crossed out and "green" written in alongside it.

Quote Originally Posted by ourquest View Post
    Westpac bank have displayed some remarkable forward-thinking Kiwi ingenuity in this regard...

Their company cars are red Toyota Prius's, and the graphics on the side declare: "This car is red" but with the "red" crossed out and "green" written in alongside it.
    Well no wonder the accident rate is so high. No one would know who should give way to whom in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Title makes about as much sense as the rule did IMHO
    Am I unique in being dissappointed that the rule will be scrapped?

For me it was part of adapting to Kiwi life having to learn and apply the rule, and over two years into my settling I still get a kick every time I get to use this rule on the road.

I suppose I (along with many forumians*) will have an advantage when we revert to "normal".

Long live side impact bars**.

* use of word similar to "Cantabrians"
    ** note that these are not the same as "side-street bars" which are more like pubs just without the lack of sleeze.

It causes confusion with tourists, new immigrants and locals alike. As much as I want to see it scrapped, I believe that after the change there will still be confusion!

Well according to Wikipedia (if you can trust their articles), 66.1% of the population of Earth live in right-hand traffic (ie traffic keeps to the right-hand side) countries, territories and dependencies (163 vs 76).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_...t-hand_traffic

To truly cater to the majority, NZ would have to switch sides!

Oh no I've just got used to it and like Ourquest I like the fact that I now can do it without having to think too hard about it. I agree that after 2 years it feels normal and I'm pleased that its another way to feel I really fit here. (It does worry me slightly that it took 2 years to get to this point!!)

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinAng View Post
    Well according to Wikipedia (if you can trust their articles), 66.1% of the population of Earth live in right-hand traffic (ie traffic keeps to the right-hand side) countries, territories and dependencies (163 vs 76).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_...t-hand_traffic

To truly cater to the majority, NZ would have to switch sides!
    The issue is not about driving on the right or wrong err left side of the road. It is really just about this give way rule. In right driving countries the one to your right has the right of way. So to apply this to the left driving countries the left ones should have the right of way. In most of these countries this is in place. BUT NOT IN NZ! YET?!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast