Thread: 2 bags on UK-NZ flights via US?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2 bags on UK-NZ flights via US?

Hi

Just about to book my flight to come to NZ to try and get a job offer again (again). It looked like Air NZ doesn't let you have 2 bags any more if coming from UK via US.

Have I got it wrong?

I was hoping to bring some clothes as well as my bicycle.

Ed

Depends on the class of flight. However, for economy it's 1 bag of 23kg. You can buy another bag of 23kg for £150 IIRC. The bike will be another £75 up to 23kg (sporting goods are half the price of the bag upgrade).

However, if you're not flying from Heathrow (ie have an internal conntecting flight then you're in for a world of pain in getting it sorted), BMI were almost impossible to deal with before I flew but were great at the airport (Manchester). However, in future I'd do what we did when we came on the recce and get a one way hire car to heathrow as it saves a lot of stress.

Whilst those extra bag fees seem expensive, then compared to other options I think they are very reasonable. All teh details are on the Air NZ website, the above is from memory of the new rules which were being introduced just after I flew. Oh, and with premium economy then you get 2 bags of 23kg, so price that into the equation when you consider what class to fly. However, you can't buy a 4th bag when flying Business class, you're stuck at the 3 bags you get.

If you're flying via the US on NZ1 then the bike (and otehr bags) stay on teh plane, so you've less chance of damage or loss, and that's the main reason I've come that way each time (as all 3 trips were with a bike).

(Cue 30 posts ranting about US security visa waiver, transit lounge.....)

Howeve,r if you're activating your visa for the first time then other airlines offer migrant baggage rates where you can get double the allowance. Not sure about bikes though. AirNZ don't offer this.
    Last edited by Duncan74; 1st October 2010 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Depends on the class of flight. However, for economy it's 1 bag of 23kg. You can buy another bag of 23kg for £150 IIRC. The bike will be another £75 up to 23kg (sporting goods are half the price of the bag upgrade).
    It's cheaper than this now they've changed the luggage rules. Flying from the UK, the first extra bag costs £35, a second extra bag is £100, and a third is £150 (those prices are per bag, so if you took three extra bags it would cost £285). You can find the excess baggage charges here. Bicycles are still charged at 50% of the excess baggage rate. Full details about taking a bike on Air NZ can be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    If you're flying via the US on NZ1 then the bike (and otehr bags) stay on teh plane, so you've less chance of damage or loss, and that's the main reason I've come that way each time (as all 3 trips were with a bike).

(Cue 30 posts ranting about US security visa waiver, transit lounge.....)
    Your luggage stays on the plane if you fly via Hong Kong on NZ38 as well.

In my opinion, if you choose to fly Air NZ, now that the luggage allowance has been changed there is no point flying via LAX unless you get a much better deal on the ticket price. Transiting in Hong Kong is a much, much nicer experience, and, if you are doing a return trip, the overall length of the flights is the same.

Thanks, that saves me going through LA.
    It's cheap excess baggage too really
    Regards

Ed