Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Horsey Stuff: Saddles, Rugs, etc.

Default Shipping Horsey Stuff: Saddles, Rugs, etc.

Hi there,

I am looking into a move with my spouse, possibly before Christmas this year , and being horsey my main concern is can I ship all my equestrian gear out to NZ with me. It's taken a lifetime to gather, I couldn't possibly afford to replace it all if I sold it.
    I would have it all clean as a whistle, but wondered what other peoples experiences were with MAF about bringing it into the country. I tried emailing MAF about what their requirements are, but I haven't heard back yet.
    I could fly with my saddles, and put the rest in the shipping boxes. Any help or advice would be great! Thank you all--what a great resource this board is

I saw a TV programme about shipping racehorses, and bascially EVERYTHING - all the tackle will have to be cleaned by MAF when it gets here. The only thing that doesn't is any blanket that is on the horse...that gets checked as part of the vets check (seems eaiser to me to take it off)

I think that no matter what you do, they will want to clean it but neverthless I would clean it down first as the charges are by the hour.

MAF have a schedule for the prices of doing this.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files...-regs-2010.pdf

Hello and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ukyankee View Post
    Hi there,

I am looking into a move with my spouse, possibly before Christmas this year , and being horsey my main concern is can I ship all my equestrian gear out to NZ with me. It's taken a lifetime to gather, I couldn't possibly afford to replace it all if I sold it.
    I would have it all clean as a whistle, but wondered what other peoples experiences were with MAF about bringing it into the country. I tried emailing MAF about what their requirements are, but I haven't heard back yet.
    I could fly with my saddles, and put the rest in the shipping boxes. Any help or advice would be great! Thank you all--what a great resource this board is
    Try getting in contact with an equestrian organisation here in NZ; they should know, shouldn't they?!

Thank you all for the responses (and the welcome!), Wooly Cow, that link was very helpful...a little confusing, but very informative

If anyone else stumbles upon this thread and has had experience shipping horsey things, I'd love to hear the details. Thanks!

I don't have any experience with it, but you could try contact MAF directly to see what advice they offer. I did that with a few items we brought that I was unsure about and they were helpful.

My wife is also planning to bring her saddle to New Zealand.

I think this falls under saddles, etc? But I could be wrong.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/impor...ieqpic.all.htm

6.2 Used equipment associated with terrestrial animals or terrestrial animal-related activities (NOT including equine animals and birds) from any country may be given biosecurity clearance provided ALL of the following requirements are met:

6.2.1 The equipment must be clean

The equipment must be visibly clean and free from contamination with organic material such as animal parts, blood, faeces, fatty tissues, flesh, hair, wool, feathers, milk, mucous, semen, algae, fungal material, plant parts, seeds, soil, and weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by ukyankee View Post
    ...all clean as a whistle...
    will be just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to NZ View Post
    My wife is also planning to bring her saddle to New Zealand.

I think this falls under saddles, etc? But I could be wrong.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/impor...ieqpic.all.htm

6.2 Used equipment associated with terrestrial animals or terrestrial animal-related activities (NOT including equine animals and birds) from any country may be given biosecurity clearance provided ALL of the following requirements are met:

6.2.1 The equipment must be clean

The equipment must be visibly clean and free from contamination with organic material such as animal parts, blood, faeces, fatty tissues, flesh, hair, wool, feathers, milk, mucous, semen, algae, fungal material, plant parts, seeds, soil, and weeds.
    No, it's the next bit (as quoted below), but it still looks as if it will be fine.

6.3 Used equipment associated with equine animals (e.g. horses, donkeys, mules) and birds or related activities from any country may be given biosecurity clearance provided ALL of the following requirements are met:

6.3.1 The equipment must be clean;

The equipment must be visibly clean and free from contamination with organic material such as algae, animal parts, blood, faeces, fatty tissues, flesh, hair, wool, feathers, milk, mucous, semen, fungal material, plant parts, seeds, soil, and weeds;

AND

6.3.2 The equipment must be treated on arrival

On arrival the equipment has been subjected to one or more of the treatments as outlined in the Approved Biosecurity Treatments for Risk Goods Directed for Treatment.

6.3.2 The equipment must be treated on arrival

On arrival the equipment has been subjected to one or more of the treatments as outlined in the Approved Biosecurity Treatments for Risk Goods Directed for Treatment.

That's what they said on the TV programme - but like I said, MAF charge by the hour so the cleaner you get it the cheaper it may be...and if it's too dirty they may just say it's too big a risk and burn it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast