Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unintended Consequences

I think for a lot of people the extended family being left behind is the hardest part. I know my dear grandmother referred to this nice country as "god-@#$$% New Zealand" for quite a while. Now that we have been here for 2.5 years, she seems to have settled down and accepted that we can be happy here and she can be happy for us.

Your children will have the choice of returning some day, but I bet once they "give it a go" they will be glad they came.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
    ... but I bet once they "give it a go" they will be glad they came.
    On what do you base your bet??
    See my previous post "above".

But, ralf-nz, your son was 19, not 16 and I'd also say that three months is not quite long enough to judge a new country.

Referring to what sks said earlier- if my sister-in-law or any other relative would have offered one of our children to stay with them instead of going with us, the parents, I probably would have told them to back off..., I don't think it is anyones call to make except the parents.

My point of view might be a bit extreme, but that's the way I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    But, ralf-nz, your son was 19, not 16 and I'd also say that three months is not quite long enough to judge a new country.

Referring to what sks said earlier- if my sister-in-law or any other relative would have offered one of our children to stay with them instead of going with us, the parents, I probably would have told them to back off..., I don't think it is anyones call to make except the parents.

My point of view might be a bit extreme, but that's the way I see it.
    I understand where you are coming from however I wanted to alert to one fact i.e. what tigerlily wrote is not necessarily the case.

16, 19 or 22 it depends on the kids and support if they are "mature enough".
    And it is similar with 3, 6 or 12 months. Very often people don't need much time to find the "right" decision. Or it takes them ages (years) and they are still undecided.

However there is just no one right solution!

Scarey, to get so far down the road to emigration and have family chuck the anchor overboard.
    HUGZ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12