Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have INZ reject a work-search visa application before?

Default Have INZ reject a work-search visa application before?

Well i'm just curious... or should i say i'm being pessimistic..

let's say a student managed to graduate from with a diploma or degree from a NZ institution, irregardless of what subject he took or duration of course, is there still a chance that INZ still rejects his application for the work search visa? (assuming he meet all the other requirements to apply for the visa eg. health, character, minimum funds available etc.)

The Graduate Work Search Visa/Permit is available in line with the regulations quoted below, including the fact that the applicant must have gained an NZ qualification which means they get points under SMC requirements, so this isn't irrespective of course subject or duration.
    Applying for a work visa/permit under
    the Graduate Job Search Policy
    If you do not yet have a job offer, you may apply
    for a visa/permit under the Graduate Job Search
    Work Policy. Permits granted under this policy are
    valid for up to 12 months and allow you to work in a
    temporary job while you look for a job in your field.
    To be eligible for a work permit under our
    Graduate Job Search Policy you must:
    • have successfully completed a New Zealand
    qualification that qualifies for points under the
    Skilled Migrant Category of Immigration
    New Zealand’s Residence Policy
    • have recently finished your qualification, and apply
    no later than three months after the end date of
    your student permit for that qualification
    • show that you have at least NZ$2,100 to
    support yourself financially.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...60A/0/1013.pdf

"so this isn't irrespective of course subject or duration"

this means that eligibility of the visa still depends on the course taken and duration? or it mean otherwise? sorry for my poor intepretation skills...

sry for double posting....but i cannot find a way to edit or delete my previous reply... >.<

anyway i think i got yr meaning....that means as long as the degree i get is from a university from NZ, i shouldn't have a problem getting the visa right?

for example: I graduate from Massey Uni with a degree in marketing, duration of 2years....i am eligible for the visa?

I apologise once again for double posting

I am sorry there are a lot of parts in this reply. It is not an easy, yes or no, answer.

The important part of these rules is this.

you must:
    • have successfully completed a New Zealand
    qualification that qualifies for points under the
    Skilled Migrant Category of Immigration
    New Zealand’s Residence Policy
    Now what you need to find out is - does the degree in marketing give you points in the Skilled Migrant Category? Looking on the NZ immigration website, we find this. http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...lification.htm

Recognised qualification

Under the Skilled Migrant Category principal applicants are eligible for:

55 points for a qualification assessed as level nine or ten on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF).

50 points for a qualification assessed as level five, six, seven, or eight on the Register.

50 points for a level four qualification included in the List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment, if the requirements specified in that list are met.

50 points for a qualification individually assessed by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) as level four on the Register, if:

the qualification is relevant to an occupation listed at Part B or Part C of the List of Skilled Occupations; and
    the qualification is assessed as comparable to a New Zealand National Certificate.

50 points for a level three qualification included in the List of Qualifications Recognised as an Exception, if the requirements specified in that list are met.

You can find out if you need to get your qualification individually assessed by the NZQA by checking our List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment.

Related Links
    For more detailed policy information on the recognition of qualifications, see section SM 14.5 and 14.10 of our Operational Manual.

Also see:

List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment
    List of Qualifications Recognised as an Exception
    New Zealand Qualifications Authority
    Here is the website for the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF), mentioned in that quote. http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/studying-in-new-zealand/nzqf/ From that page, there is a link where you can look up the degree course to see what level it gets.

wow thanks JandM on the details to enlighten this confused guy!

alright so i've use the link provided and and typed in "Bachelor of Business Studies". I browsed through the massey uni handbook and realised that the course isn't called "Degree in Marketing" but its "Bachelor of Business Studies" instead...the marketing part is only one of the major you can choose from.

http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/nzqf/search/...ItemKey=MY0037

okay anyway according to the website, it is level 7 on the register, which means i'm getting 50pts under SMC... therefore completing a "Bachelor of Business Studies" will get me a job search visa!

Correct me if i'm wrong..

Great! No, you're right, there. (I'd tried putting in 'Degree in Marketing' and got nothing, so I hoped you would manage to find your course. )

Just received an email from Massey today saying that I've been offered a place! Knowing that I'll be going over to NZ in slightly over a year later makes me really anxious and i can't wait to FLY!!!!

Time to look at how I can add in a WHV to my plan now to make my PR wish come true!

My NZ PR friend keep encouraging me to go over to look around first (job market, rental etc)...guess i'm doing that in Jan 2011!

WooHoo~!

CONGRATULATIONS! What great news.

i still confused. any graduates can get a job search visa or only whose occupation is listed on ltssl&issl only??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast