Thread: Electrician Qualification

Red face Electrician Qualification

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice/information. My partner is a fully qualified electrician in Ireland but needs to have his skills assessed in NZ. We want to get the ball rolling on his EOI but without his skills being assessed he doesn't have enough points. He has to wait 8 weeks for the first part of his skills assesment and then do an exam and once he passes that, he will get his NZ licence but it will early next year by the time all that is completed and our WHV's end in early June. Would we have to leave NZ and come back if we didnt have our PR before our visas expire or is there some sort of bridging visa that would allow us to stay and continue working? Any info greatly appreciated

Oh and having just read some other posts about electricians, does he need to have his skills assessed by the EWRB or NZQA or both???

EWRB.

More info here.
    They assess his quals and will tell him if they will grant a provisional licence.

Nick..
    Last edited by NikT; 4th October 2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: addition

It is possible he could get PR through before the end of the WHV.

People are not supposed to be in NZ without a permit. HOWEVER, this doesn't have to mean you have to leave the country at the end of your WHV.

If there is an application in for PR, particularly with a job offer (or a job already in place), and the existing permit is about to run out, NZIS will usually do their best to get the processing done in time. However, if the CO can see that it isn't going to be possible, s/he will say so, and advise the applicant to go for a work permit to cover the gap. Also, there has been mention from the government that they intend to put some sort of bridging permit in place for this situation. It hasn't happened yet, but watch for news.

Thanks guys. NikT, he rang NZQA this morning and they said for immigration purposes he needs to get his skills assessed by them! This is all very confusing and the bills are increasing I think a call to immigration to find out exactly what he needs is best

Things could have changed, but I've never heard of any electricians having to go to NZQA.
    Someone who arrived from the UK a few months ago, only had to go through the EWRB.

I'd def check with NZIS, as I think NZQA are expensive.

Nick..