Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching in New Zealand

Default Teaching in New Zealand

Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on moving to New Zealand to teach.

I'm a primary school teacher based in the UK but wanting to move out to NZ for Term 1 2010. I've had my qualifications assessed and recently got my teacher registration through as well. I've just started to look for jobs, but does anyone know if schools are keen on interviewing over the phone. Does Scale A mean newly qualified teachers? I have 4 years teaching experience in the UK - can I apply for Scale A jobs?

Any advice much appreciated!

Hello and welcome.

You'll probably get comments when those in NZ come online later.

I got my job from a phone interview (started this January). Have heard of others being Skyped. Depends on the Head - some like to have a real person to look at! I'm in the private sector, so can't comment on the payscale bit (and I'm secondary)! Did you get provisional registration, or STC? That might make a difference - whether they want to "mentor" you - could cost them time/money.

Thanks for the responses. I've got provisional registration, but hoping that won't be too much of a hindrance!

Can I ask how long it took to get your visa/work permit after getting the job?

You might want to consider registering with a agency such as Education Personnel too for relief work and job searches etc.

http://www.edperson.co.nz

(I am assuming you know that jobs are advertised on the Education Gazette site.)

http://www.edgazette.govt.nz

Good luck with the job search.

Hi, I am a UK trained teacher with 2 years UK teaching experience. Scale A does not mean newly registered.
    I have provisional registration and have taught a year here in NZ and I am hoping to get full registration at the end of the year. Our school is small and there is no formal mentoring program in place. I have to have a file a bit like the UK ROPD to prove that you meet the NZ standards and according to our head they just pick a few teachers at random to check they have the paperwork. As I say I have only worked in one school so others may have had a completely different experience.
    I have not got an answer regarding phone interviews and I got my job through a long term relieving position. However, as the previous poster said I have heard of people getting jobs via a telephone interview.
    Good luck and PM me if you want anymore information.

Yup et NZQA to assess quali's and apply for Scale A (avoid tagged, unless you qualify). No chance over the phone IMO, you need to be here. You need to get in quick for a Term 1 2010 start.

Br prepared to teach in smaller groups, instead of whole class and try and work out what 'enquiry learning' is before you interview (do the research on that) I think you'll find that your planning and assessment time out of school will increase a fair amount. Unlikely to have a TA, and less resourced that UK schools.

Where in NZ are you ideally planning to live?

I had one phone interview in the UK thro' a teaching agency (but didn't get the job!) but for primary I think you have to be here and the Principal has to know you too. Going into schools to meet the Principal or volunteering in schools so they get to know you and you them, is often the best way.
    Provisional registration should be no hinderence.

Thanks for all the responses - a great help!

I arrived this time last year looking for primary teaching jobs
    I applied for 22
    interviewed for 1
    was told by several of the schools I applied to that there were 80 plus applicants for each job
    at least 1 job I was told to my face that overseas teachers were not welcome (apparently OS teachers in the past had returned to their home country during term time and at short notice)

However - being positive
    NZ curriculum is very similar to the English one with a few name differences,
    have you any assessment background? Use of target setting? Children's 'I can' statements etc? Using Learning Objections/intentions, self assessment, rrefection and review?
    NZ have just started their national standards journey and any experienece with assessments would make your application more appealing
    Echo the comment about Inquiry Learning - big thing here
    lots of schools have their own models
    Also check out the 'Key compentencies as part of the NZ curriculum (give it a google) as this is also big here

Good luck - it worked out for me for this year (my school now has to release/not re employ temp teachers as there are too many so I'm back off to apply for jobs again)
    Any questions - ask away

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast