Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pets & rental

Default Pets & rental

Hi

As this suggests we are getting ready to move and are looking to find suitable rental accommodation with our dogs

Has anyone in this situation found it easier to negotiate better properties when you are already there and any tips on how to present to landlords would be appreciated

Francis

Be careful with private landlords and make sure you use a standard NZ contract.

I found the government website particularly helpful:
    http://www.dbh.govt.nz/tenancy-agreement

We went through an agency which acts as our landlord, which makes a lot of things easier. And we, by the way, took the risk of signing the lease from overseas, which worked out great but I am not sure I would do it again.

Regarding the dogs: Most landlords won't allow dogs, we have found, but it does make it easier if the dog is rather small or medium sized.

Good luck.

Cheers,
    Patrick

Many forumites in the past have suggested that, though a lot of landlords advertise their properties as 'no pets', if you actually meet them and ask nicely, and also, if you offer to add to the contract that you will have the house professionally cleaned before you leave, it can get you accepted.

If they meet you in person and see that you're well maintained you're more likely to be rented a place as well.

When we got here we went around and found a place that would allow us a dog pretty easily (and it was one of the nicest places we had looked at in our price range as well).

We were exceptionally lucky in that the first property we saw we took. We had advised the property managers that we had a dog and cat and when we went to see the property took the dog with us so that the agent could see the size. They checked that the owner was ok and he was and we became tenants.

We asked the property managers for properties with pets and described our dog and cat to them. I have to admit though our choice would have been better without animals, but we were lucky anyway.

We landed a great rental through an agent and the owners wanted to meet our dog. Of course they loved him so no problem. One of the things that seems to happen here is that "you have to be the right sort of people". No clue what that means but we passed the test i guess. All of the houses we viewed said no pets but the agents took us anyway and said it wouldnt be a problem. I think the only thing that really bugged me about renting was that agents wouldnt take us to view until we had done a "drive by" first.

Quote Originally Posted by catt View Post
    I think the only thing that really bugged me about renting was that agents wouldnt take us to view until we had done a "drive by" first.
    Yea- that's really annoying- especially when you don't have a car...

How do they know you've actually done it?

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    Yea- that's really annoying- especially when you don't have a car...
    I'd imagine that 'could' pose a problem!

I'm moving in September to Wellington and looking to rent a holiday letting for around 6 weeks while we look for a proper rental property BUT we have two cats (clearly well behaved, house trained etc) but I've been told no one will take me (by one owner of a holiday let). Did anyone else manage to find anywhere that did house them (we are a couple and a three year old with two cats) and if so, could you let me know where and possibly who, as it may be vacant when we come over and can use the same place? If not, how did everyone get around it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast