Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you afraid of earthquakes?

Default Are you afraid of earthquakes?

As above.

I come from a country with no earthquakes. Are you worried that one day you will be sitting in your office in Auckland and in comes a big quake and the entire building collapses on you?

No, but then I am in Christchurch

But I wouldn't be afraid having seen how the vast majority of buildings here stood up to the quake. Houses may have collapsed but they did not become Death Traps to the extent seen in other areas.

Applying some logic, would a person be more afraid of living in a city that is due to have a major earthquake OR living in a city like Christchurch that has already experienced a major earthquake?

I think living in Christchurch is a safe bet that another major earthquake won't happen for quite some time.

When it's not the time for you to die, you just won't die, but at most lie down unconscious at the hospital.

Then a few years later you'll look back and say "Hell yeah... I survived when the building collapse!"

Just my ramblings....

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    Applying some logic, would a person be more afraid of living in a city that is due to have a major earthquake OR living in a city like Christchurch that has already experienced a major earthquake?

I think living in Christchurch is a safe bet that another major earthquake won't happen for quite some time.
    If an earthquake just occurred in your area, that means the plates underneath are dancing. It is possible that another quake will follow soon.

Earthquakes play by no rules.

I just saw the Kobe earthquake pictures in Japan....I am so scared of lying under a pile of concrete and steel bars.

When assessing any risk, we must also consider the probability and magnitude.

Probability: Having survived a major quake, the plates under Chch must have settled down to a comfortable position for the foreseeable future. Risk = low.

Magnitude: No deaths reported in Chch as a direct result of the quake. So even if another quake happened next year, the human damage suffered will probably be low as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zemien View Post
    When assessing any risk, we must also consider the probability and magnitude.

Probability: Having survived a major quake, the plates under Chch must have settled down to a comfortable position for the foreseeable future. Risk = low.

Magnitude: No deaths reported in Chch as a direct result of the quake. So even if another quake happened next year, the human damage suffered will probably be low as well.
    Contrary to what you assert, multiple major earthquakes can and do happen in sequence. It is not that uncommon.

The New Madrid earthquakes were a series of 4 strong earthquakes that occurred in the same area within a 4 months period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake

Forget the earthquakes what about the volcanoes !!!!! LOL

Minnysian

I was not being flippant with the Christchurch comment. It is scary, there is a chance it will happen again here as the Alpine Fault is supposedly due a rupture. I did not lose my house, nor did I have much damage. But I and everyone here lived through this. Even those who had damage to property had very little damage to self (apart from frayed nerves). However it has not made me want to leave.

Don't worry about the earthquakes or the volcanos....just watch out for the bus when you are crossing the road....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast