Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We had a meeting with INZ yesterday ...

Default We had a meeting with INZ yesterday ...

... and it was horrible.

As you guys know from my recent posts, I wrote a letter of complaint to INZ about the delay in our PR process. As a result of that I had a meeting yesterday was with the CO and the skilled migrant manager. Turns out that although the CO has approved our application three times, the manager (who is the quality assurance person) is not approving it, and that is because he is not satisfied that my son (21) meets one of dependent child criteria - the one that says he has to be fully or substantially reliant on me financially. Why? Because he has been living in the UK on his OE, earning money and therefore 'supporting himself'. So even though he is now here, unemployed and fully dependent on me with plans in the pipeline to start uni next year, the manager still says NO.

If we withdraw him from our application, PR will definitely be approved for my daughter and myself. If we leave him on it with no additional evidence for his dependence, the application as a whole will be denied.

HOWEVER: there are options, one of which would be to withdraw him from the application, get our PR thru, then apply for him to enter as my dependent child. The difference being that when this new application is submitted, he will be here in NZ, not working, and therefore fully dependent on me financially right now. Isn't it crazy?? We can also resubmit evidence to prove his dependence ... but its a long shot!

They also talked about ways to let him stay here longer, ie getting extensions on his visitor visa, or getting him enrolled in uni and getting a student visa (international student fees? yeah right ....) but none of these really addresses the problem of how to get him PR so he can stay and go to uni as a domestic student next year. So for now we're discounting those options, and we are also for now discounting the option wherein we withdraw him from the application and send him back to South Africa to live his own life over there.

So on it goes. The one thing I still want to know, and I dare not ask it now as I don't want to raise the ire of this manager who holds the power of refusal over our application, is WHY it took my complaint and this meeting for me to find out what the problem was, and to begin looking at ways to address it! He's been *not approving* this since mid-July some time ... it is now October and we've been hanging in just waiting for a reply all that time. What exactly was being achieved by it just sitting there in limbo? How long would it have lain there if I hadn't complained? I don't know. I'm really unhappy about that side of it, as well as being deeply stressed by all the rest and the possibility that my son might not end up living here in NZ after all.

But onwards. At least we now know what the delay was all about and can have a go at trying to fix it!
    Last edited by elleann; 6th October 2010 at 08:05 AM.

Gah! That's sounds just... stupid!!

I have nothing constructive to share, but still - as you say, now you know the problem the solution will be easier to find. Best wishes and good luck!!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I'm with sophiedb - it makes NZIS sound incompetent and inconsistent. Why couldn't they just tell you so you could try to get it sorted faster?

I have nothing constructive to add but hope that you find a way through this. There are options open to you. Granted they aren't ideal, but you have at least got some directions to choose from. The door is not shut.

Here's hoping you get it sorted soon.

All the best.

At least they're giving you options to work with and haven't just said no.

Quote Originally Posted by elleann View Post
    HOWEVER: there are options, one of which would be to withdraw him from the application, get our PR thru, then apply for him to enter as my dependent child. The difference being that when this new application is submitted, he will be here in NZ, not working, and therefore fully dependent on me financially right now. Isn't it crazy?? We can also resubmit evidence to prove his dependence ... but its a long shot!
    I'm stunned that you should get such a run-around. Certainly that they left you uninformed instead of requesting additional information is nonsense. I don't suppose there is an INZ ombudsman, is there?

What's particularly odd is that the manager seems to admit that withdrawing and resubmitting (if you can prove dependence) would do the trick. Could he not just deem it done? If you submit the same information either way, the format should not matter.

Did you provide financial assistance to your son while in UK? Was he in fact dependent on you at the time, at least partially? Seems like that would help.

Just shooting in the dark, really. Hope this works out.

Just wanted to add some hugs!!

(edited to add: from one mother to another, i have an 18 yr old son and i've been following your story)

hope it all works out sooner than later!
    Last edited by Tui2too; 7th October 2010 at 07:11 AM.

What a mess..., I totally agree with what the others said, there is no sense in just doing nothing instead of letting you know the problem!

Not sure if that is an option- but wouldn't that be something for you local MP? I know that friends of us who had a similar problem with one of their children (one came over after they had been here on a LTBV already for almost two years, she has a child on her own, but was fully dependent on her parent's support at that time) went to see their MP and he managed to get the application through, somehow....

I don't know if by taking a step like that you take the risk of strirring things up in an unfavourable way, just wanted to mention it.

Thank you all for your words of support and encouragement!

As of yesterday, we've withdrawn my son off our application and are getting the paperwork ready to submit an application for him under the Family Category: Dependent Child as soon as my PR is through - one of the requirements for this category is that the parent be a legal resident actually living in NZ. There are indicators from INZ are that this new application will go through without any trouble - but until we all have those blue stickers in our passports, I am not taking anything for granted!

Once this is all over, I think I may look into the process a bit further as it may be useful to others to address the issues of how this all went down. Then again, it may well have been simply the bureaucratic wheels grinding away like the mills of God, exceedingly slow! :-)

Thank you!! Then you know how the stresses are tough when they include the future well-being of your first-born - even if he is 21 now!

Hugs to you too!

Quote Originally Posted by Tui2too View Post
    Just wanted to add some hugs!!

(edited to add: from one mother to another, i have an 18 yr old son and i've been following your story)

hope it all works out sooner than later!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast