Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Social Workers?

Default Any Social Workers?

Hello, I've a bachelors degree in social psychology, I found on the internet that to be a social worker in NZ you only need a bachelors degree in one of the social sciences, and that you're not required to register until 6 months after being on the job...if then....is this correct? I've also noticed that the child protective worker positions are mainly on North Island....is things so backed up that they've just not gotten around to putting these workers in place on South Island? I've found like 4 positions on SI but all are in the northern tip of the island. One of the reasons I got this degree was to try and get into child protective services and help children escape abusive situations. Thanks in advance.

Hi

I am a social worker just recently arrived on north Island. I havent noticed that there arent positions in the south island as CYF appear to be throughout the country.
    I have registered with NZ social Work recruitment, Palmerston North who are really good at guiding you through the process and in applying for jobs etc.

Good luck

Bernie

Thanks Bernie, I'll look them up.

I emailed NZ Social Work Recruitment, since my degree isn't specifically a SW degree, they can't help me, but suggested a dept. that would, (for a fee), look at my degree to see if my degree would qualify me for a SW job.

Hi Tom

The bulk of the jobs are located near the bulk of the population - about 75%live on the North Island so that tends to be where the concentration is. At a guess, there is probably less turnover on the SI due to more limited job prospects so maybe that's a factor as well.

I'd be hesitant to pay someone for that kind of an assessment especially since the types of jobs in that field vary a lot. People are usually helpful and friendly here - you could try contacting CYF HR and ask them about your quals.

Also, there is some movement on requiring SWs to register but I don't know the details on that. I'll see if I can find the reference and post it for you.

BTW, where in Texas are you? I moved here from Austin.

Susan

Susan, We're in San Antonio, I contacted a few of the various agencies and have found pretty much the same response from all of them in NZ that I have here in the states. To work as a social worker, I need a degree in social work, not social psychology....I guess I can thank my councelor for the lovely advice....4 years for the most part wasted....of course I can always become an orderly at a mental hospital.... (sorry, I've gotten a bit down trying to use a degree that seems to be useless.)

Dear Fellows,
    I've a bachelor's degree in social work from Turkey and want to move to NZ as a skilled migrant.
    Let's share our experiences.

P.S Do you really advice NZ social worker recruitment ltd?

Hello, I am a bit late on this thread but I thought I would pipe in. I agree with the social work jobs being where the people are. The social worker jobs in the smaller communities tend to be less turn over because there are fewer jobs in those communities. And few social workers cause there are fewer people.

My understanding of Social Work jobs in NZ are that you need to have a BSW or a MSW. The Skilled Shortage List clearly specifies MSW or BSW. If that is not your degree then you do not get the points for having the job in the shortage area. Or at least that is my understanding. My EOI was almost rejected because I forgot to even list that I had a MSW (just missed that section on the application). SO even thought I had the job my EOI wouldn't have been accepted. I wouldn't have had enough points otherwise.

And as for CPS in this country...well, I'd rather bash my head in with bricks daily. I am doing that job now and I am miserable. And I went in with a mega positive attitude. And try to maintain that everyday. But really at the end of the day bashing your head in with bricks is more effective.

Dont register with an agency as they will not tell you about the available financial packages DHB's or Childrens services offer - best to go direct. There is a move for SW's to be registered but so long as you agree to do this within an acceptable time frame there generally happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mart1 View Post
    Dont register with an agency as they will not tell you about the available financial packages DHB's or Childrens services offer - best to go direct. There is a move for SW's to be registered but so long as you agree to do this within an acceptable time frame there generally happy with that.
    So Mart, you say that the first step is applying to jobs directly and tell them that i am in the paper work of registiration process right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast