Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did you 'prepare' your house before packing began??

I was in a position where it was just me at the house when the packers came. I had already done various things to be ready when they arrived on the 1st morning;

1) packed the suitcases & bags and got together everything we were taking on the plane and put it all on our bed.
    2) emptied the attic
    3) unplugged computers & stereo system and packed it into the original boxes we still had (but I hadn't sealed them up)
    4) had a HUGE clearout of stuff (this was over a number of weeks as it was a slow process what with working fulltime, looking after DS & OH being in NZ already)
    5) still had the skip on the driveway so any last minute things that needed to be ditched could be
    6) packed our wine cellar stocks in special packing boxes my OH sourced

As the packing was going to take more than one day on the 2nd day I put everything that was coming with us, or being given to friends into the car before the packers arrived. This then gave the packers a 'clear run' at what was left.

During the packing I provided a supply of small ziplock bags so that as items were dismantled (our beds for example) the 'bits' could be put in a bag and taped securely to the item. I also made sure that there were enough mugs & t-spoons left out for drinks.

HTH & best of luck!
    Anneliese

Talking about weighing things, I can thoroughly recommend this product. http://www.balanzza.co.uk/categories...egory=Balanzza It is SO much easier than trying to manage using the bathroom scales. Also, you can take it along in a pocket for any checks needed at the airport - e.g. someone slips you a present at the last minute, so do you put it in your hand luggage, or do you need to post it to yourself?

MrsB's post sounds very close to what we're doing and planning.

In our case, our loft is already empty. Hubby put down new insulation a while back, and we decided that it wasn't worth putting any clutter or even useful stuff back up there when we knew a move was coming! We're also going to make sure that anything that doesn't need to be packed is OUT before they get there, just to be sure.

1. START EARLY: sell and otherwise dispose of clutter and excess STUFF - e.g. car boot sale, garage sale, charity shop, friends/family, DUMP.
    2. Clean anything that needs cleaning, then put somewhere, um, CLEAN!
    3. Pack bags and hide at parents' house (where we'll be staying post-packing anyway). Make sure this includes passports etc!
    4. Unplug most appliances and pack them in original boxes if useful (forget the ones that are more packaging than protection), but don't seal. Leave kettle in situ though

All good advice: -
    Will be needing it on Tuesday

We've just finished emptying the loft and it was a surprise how much rubbish we've accumulated over the years..

At least it's our recycling day today, so we've put a load of stuff out for them, which I am sure that are going to appreciate!

Next job is the garage, to find all out boots etc and give them a good clean, them onto the BBQ and garden equipment.. Happy days!

When did you unplug your freezers and fridges, as we still have to live here over the 4 days they are going to be here?

Pickfords got into our loft for us - it did have lovely easy access though.

We asked them to clear one room completely which they did in about 2 hours flat and then I shipped everything we needed for the flights into there and spent two days trying to fit it all into the suitcases.

They just pack, they don't label every item so you get a kind of pick n mix affect in each box so if there is something you really need to find quickly once you arrive here, ask them specifically or keep an eye on when it goes in a box and do it yourself. For us it was nappies and the changing mat!

Don't forget to get all your baking trays out from under the oven if you have one of those useful little drawers. All mine were donated to the neighbours 3 hours after the container left!

Remember to hold back the teaspoons with coffee and enough mugs until the last minute.

Get all the sorting done before they arrive because your house suddenly feels very small with four extra men in there, a load of wrapping stuff and a baffling number of boxes that very quickly block out all natural light!

Enjoy. It is chaos. Pickfords did an utterly splendid job for us. They are as speedy as little speedy things. You just need to make sure they don't put you in the container too - they are that quick!!!! Oh and keep the camera ready for bye bye container photos

Reminds me of when we had our 'stuff to ship' (rather than stuff to store) packing day - got most of the kitchen paraphenalia laid out on the worktop and clearly remember saying to the chap - all that, and those two drawers, which were open. Only once they had left did we open those two drawers, and find them still full of all our cutlery and utensils! So we had to re-buy nearly everything when we got here. We're just about coping without the oyster knife and champagne stoppers though.

Quote Originally Posted by hosebergine View Post
    They are as speedy as little speedy things.

Well, they took all of the recycling!

They had to reverse the rubbish truck up to the drive as there was so much! But at least that got rid of a load of stuff

Maybe this is obvious but I was assuming that the packers would empty the drawers and cupboards for us. Is this not the case?

3 days en counting and there seems to still be a LOT to do!

Quote Originally Posted by noodles3 View Post
    Well, they took all of the recycling!

They had to reverse the rubbish truck up to the drive as there was so much! But at least that got rid of a load of stuff

Maybe this is obvious but I was assuming that the packers would empty the drawers and cupboards for us. Is this not the case?

3 days en counting and there seems to still be a LOT to do!

Ours packed the drawers with cuddly toys and other random stuff to save space!
    Also if the drawers were still in use they were left alone and just wrapped up as they were!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast