Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Did you 'prepare' your house before packing began??

What a day:
    Pickfords swarming over our stuff, our house, our things - like magic empty rooms appear! By Jove, I feel calm but need a stiff restorative one, before facing the cleaning repainting of horrors hidden behind furniture.
    Having no kitchen or food left to speak of, will just HAVE to go up the pub for tea . . . . I'll be a martyr . . . . .

Re: Insurance - on a 40' container with around £22K value on board, itemised- £666 + tax
    No Mould mildew cover IMHO not worth it since they only cover damage by water ingress not condensation, no electrical derangement cover.

Hard to compare unless you have like for like quotes.
    All depends on what type of goods, category 1 or 2, how many fragiles/valuables etc etc

Don't be afraid to haggle I saved a couple of hundred by doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarian View Post
    Having no kitchen or food left to speak of, will just HAVE to go up the pub for tea . . . . I'll be a martyr . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarian View Post
    Re: Insurance - on a 40' container with around £22K value on board, itemised- £666 + tax
    No Mould mildew cover IMHO not worth it since they only cover damage by water ingress not condensation, no electrical derangement cover.
    Likewise, though our premium was cheaper - 20ft container with £10k goods and nearly £5k tools = £275+tax.

We also decided that the mould & mildew was too shaky to be worth paying for - insurance companies like to wriggle out of paying, imho.

Default Unaccompanied personal Baggage declaration.

I've had to fill this in twice now, once in the Uk and once over here.. Both times I have been the one to specify which boxes have 'offending' articles.

http://www.worldmoving.co.nz/uploads...oms_Forms-pdf/

Needless to say we've been told our shipment is now held for inspection ($300)..

Hopefully it won't take too long - I'm desperate for the setee...

All done - empty house - full heart of leaving guilt & sympathies, heart warming friendships acknowledged, OMG! NZ look out here I come . . . .

Another step done. All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbriana View Post
    I've had to fill this in twice now, once in the Uk and once over here.. Both times I have been the one to specify which boxes have 'offending' articles.

http://www.worldmoving.co.nz/uploads...oms_Forms-pdf/

Needless to say we've been told our shipment is now held for inspection ($300)..

Hopefully it won't take too long - I'm desperate for the setee...
    This can be a bit of a common scam here, don't automatically pay this without finding our how many cartons they wish to inspect, and whether the container will need to be emptied especially for this purpose or if it is being emptied anyway (ie to transfer to a furniture truck). The MAF website I'm sure details the actual fees involved for inspections. We got hit with this as well and stupidly paid it before I read a load of posts on here detailing this trick. If neccessary get your Moving company from your country of departure to get in touch with whoever is handling this here, I wish I had.

I have a very silly question: what did you do with (used) towels and bed sheets? They will be here at 7.30 AM, so we won't have time to wash anything, and it seems a bit strange to pack dirty sheets and towels.

They will be here for 3 days though, and if they don't start with packing our washing machine, I'd still have time to make those sheets smell nice again

Changed the beds two days prior then just stripped the beds and packed the sheets.
    Not much else I could do . . .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234