Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Average wages/salary in NZ

(and lets not forget that aside from a few hundred people worldwide then footballers are on fairly average wages, and of course only get that from 20-30 years old and then have no experience or training in any other career).

Quote Originally Posted by whakapapa View Post
    I am not an oracle on wage differences but I do think sometimes we compartmentalize everyone rather than look at circumstances. Yes footballer wages are astronomical and defy belief but those wages are supported by advertising which itself is viable by those who follow the game. Conversely consider someone who starts something from scratch, works 18 hours a day for 30 years to pull it together and who now has a company employing 500 or 1000 or 10000 others earning decent money and turning a nice profit. Do you think they shouldn't get a decent bonus or extraordinary return for the hard work and dedication? I don't disagree with you in principle but I don't think everyone should be penalized for earning a seriously nice amount of money. Good on them.
    And to add, as soon as you start taxing the rich to pay the poor, the rich leave. I'd just like to add that wealth must be obtained in a legal and moral way, as long as it is then there should be no limit. I would willingly pay a $million tax every week.

Also, when we talk of worth then why automatically think in purely financial terms? I see job satisfaction and monetary gain as being seperate. Teacher's wages are historically low, presumably their satisfaction lies elsewhere. Surely none of these well educated people would have seen what teachers are being paid, then entered that profession for purely monetary gain?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    (and lets not forget that aside from a few hundred people worldwide then footballers are on fairly average wages, and of course only get that from 20-30 years old and then have no experience or training in any other career).
    The same for motor racing stars. A few earn zillions, countless thousands have tried to get into the elite and just not made it, with little to fall back on.

I have often thought about that myself - 10,000 per week over ten years only equates to an average salary of 100,000pa for the nominal worker. OK so they don't have to put in the full 40 or 50 years but as you said they have no skill to do anything else once they are rendered too old to kick a ball!

Ahh, but the trade gets that $45k tax free as they do it all off the books and don't forget that they make triple that by fleecing customers on materials. Or are we not supposed to just slag off other professions? Because the spin side of your secretary rant is that if you think that's 'all' every secretary does then you are really in a bubble.
    Worse than the bubble you seem to be in, with your ideas about trade guys?

generally, pay equals responsibility rather than effort or hours. we live in a democracy which is capitalist. thats pretty much that i'm afraid!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123