Thread: How about EOI 110 points - qualification in shortage

Default How about EOI 110 points - qualification in shortage

I am considering to submit EOI with 110 points including 10 bonus points for qualification in shortage list (in long-term list also).

I checked successful EOIs last year and noted that many cases like mine were selected. However, this year changed totally, only EOIs with 10 bonus points in experience in shortage list were selected.

I am wondering why the number of places for 2010 is higher than 2009 (according to information shown on NZ immigration website on 1 July 2010), why the number of selected EOIs (as well as places) of 2010 is much lower than 2009.

Do you think if I have any chance for my EOI, 110 points with only 10 bonus points for qualification in shortage list?

@hoi, i submitted mine yesterday with only 115 points and no job offer, experience or qualification in areas of absolute skills shortage. hopefully it will get selected, there is no guarantee but chance is there, i heard they normally select the lower EOI with no other perks at the end of the year.

fingers are crossed!!!

Hello hoi,

Welcome on board!
    Yes you can submit your EOI if you have 100+ points and without job offer.
    In our case we also have 100+ points and without job offer.

Check this immigration website below for more information about EOI, the rules about EOI points should still be the same, unless they changed this info in their website:
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ly/default.htm

Below is the portion of information stated about EOI points:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We use a points system to judge the ability of a potential migrant to settle and contribute. If your EOI scores over 100 points, it goes into the pool of EOIs for this category.

Periodically, applicants with over 140 points are selected from the pool automatically. After this, those with between 100 and 140 points, and which include points for a skilled job or job offer, are selected. If we still have spaces available, additional selection criteria are set by the Minister of Immigration, allowing lower-scoring EOIs to be selected for invitation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, give it a try. Goodluck! and keep your fingers crossed

EOI submitted: May 02/09
    EOI selected: May 15/09
    ITA received:June 09/09
    ITA submitted: July 01/09 (Beijing Branch)
    Interview date: May 07/10
    Result: Approved(WTR) - Oct 15/10
    Last edited by emem297; 25th October 2010 at 03:19 PM.

The numbers in the fortnightly selection are decided exactly then, a kind of fine-tuning reaction to conditions in the NZ work-place. There is no way to tell from the outside why this year they have been so much prioritizing experience over qualifications. I SUPPOSE (but nobody knows for sure) that towards the end of the year they realize that they haven't filled the target number for the year, and that's when they start to go down the list of criteria, and cases with fewer points, or in other areas than those they've been choosing, get their chance.

@JandM

hi! thanks for that encouraging message

Thks all of you.

Maybe I will try to submit EOI next week.

However, I am considering another option. Do you think it's a good way to get to NZ with student visa (i.e, PhD student). With this visa, my husband and children may go with me and husband will have time for job hunting. We have about 150K NZ$, so we can buy a tidy apartment, so part-time jobs may help us to survive. Is it better than waiting for a long long time for PR process, right? But it's quite risky if my husband can not find a job or we can not buy a tidy accommodation and have to pay monthly rent.