Thread: Here is a proforma for a statutory declaration

Default Here is a proforma for a statutory declaration

Hi

I have here some potentially useful / money-saving info about statutory declarations, which might be of help to some people frequenting these forums.

I'm in the UK, and I don't know if what I did will work / be applicable in every case (largely depending on where you are in the world) - but that said, my (London-based) visa case officer seems to have accepted the version I sent in.

The background is that my case officer recently asked me for a 'statutory declaration, signed by a notory public / Justice of the Peace / solicitor' to support my application for a PR visa in NZ. This declaration was in lieu of my providing a police certificate from a country I lived in for six years as an infant / young child.

I'd no idea what a statutory declaration is, but having contacted a number of local solicitors in my area, I was provided with quotes ranging from £65 to £200 (plus up to a fortnight's wait for an appointment) for them to draw one up for me.

The last firm I contacted said they'd sign / witness a statutory declaration for me for £5, providing I drew one up myself. Other firms had said they'd WITNESS a statutory declaration for me for £5 (the higher charge being for drawing the document up) so this seems to be something many UK solicitors will do in general.

The following is a proforma for a statutory declaration that I found on the internet:

I (insert your full name) of (insert your full address), Date of Birth (whatever yours is), DO SOLEMNLY AND SINCERELY DECLARE as follows:-

1. Whatever points
    2. That
    3. For example
    4. The New Zealand Visa people have asked you to state in your statutory declaration
    5. AND I make this solemn Declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the provisions of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835.

SIGNED AND DECLARED at )
    in the County of )
    )
    this day, the of 201 )

Before me )
    )
    Solicitor/Commissioner for Oaths )

Obviously you'll need to format the above a bit so there's enough space on the page for the relevant details to be written in by hand when you print it out - but that's all a statutory declaration apparently is. I printed mine out on the Monday, you have to read it out in the presence of a solicitor who signs it, which I did in about five minutes in total on the Tuesday - I paid her £5 - and that was it. Surprisingly straighforward and simple. Just thought I'd share that.
    Last edited by somerset; 9th October 2010 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by somerset View Post
    I'd no idea what a statutory declaration is, but having contacted a number of local solicitors in my area, I was provided with quotes ranging from £65 to £200 (plus up to a fortnight's wait for an appointment) for them to draw one up for me.
    There is a notary at NZ house who will do a declaration for you for £30 if you didn't want to do it yourself (obviously a tad cheaper than the quotes above)! We've had to look into is as we needed a copy of OH's passport to go in with my vias application in case he needs to use it during the time they take to sort things out!

We had to have something like this (can't remember quite why now) and my husband was very happy to find a solicitor in the next village who did it for £7, on Christmas Eve! So shop around folks....

Thanks for the Info, as I might need to do same as you, because I couldn’t provide a police certificate from my home country, I have never been there.
    However I am currently waiting my Case officer to contact me.

Drawing up a statutory declaration should not be such a big deal. I found a template on Police NZ website:

http://www.police.govt.nz/service/in...claration.html

Nick