Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns/Ammo

Default Guns/Ammo

Okay, while not an advid hunter we do like the occassional venison, I've read where hunting is allowed, but this got us to thinking, what about the guns and ammo, are these allowed to be shipped with the container or is this something that has to be checked on the airlines, and the ammo, is this something that can be placed in a secure lockbox and shipped with the container?

Any questions on this subject are best asked on this forum;
    http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi

My understanding is that a new migrant cannot import guns. However, after becoming resident, you can obtain a license to own and can get permission to import.

There is a list of guns allowed somewhere (can't recall offhand). I checked out mine. S&W M&P 9mm, Sig p229 .40, Mossberg 12 ga, and my little Ruger 10/22 each are specifically allowed. I figure I will have my BiL keep them in his safe, then import them later. Some claim that it is better just to sell them in US and purchase again in NZ, rather than go through the import process. Not sure about that though. Probably depends on the size of your collection.

Here's some reference links:

Guns that can be imported:
    http://www.police.govt.nz/service/fi.../approved.html

Importing Firearms:
    http://www.police.govt.nz/service/fi...importing.html

How to Obtain a Licence:
    http://www.police.govt.nz/service/firearms/index.html

Hope this helps

Thanks for input and the links, I may end up having to call about one old black powder rifle my father gave me as a house warming gift just before he passed. Not sure if it even works, I've never fired it, just used it as a wall decoration.

The gun license is $150 and a Saturday class.
    Importing guns is going to be tricky but possible. (Too bad we gave most of the guns away before we left. But since some were to my parents, I am hoping we can ask for them back. )

Buying guns here?

OH had an AR-15 that he paid US$1100 for in the US and it's NZ$10,000!!!!

A Remington 870 12 gauge was about US$200 (or less) but it is NZ$700!

A .22 rimfire is US$100 and NZ$600.

so if you want guns, it is best to try to go through the hassle of importing!!

I was reading on one of the links that Sue had posted, it says I have to have a license here as well....not sure what they're wanting since rifles don't require a license here, (yet), I'm also going to have to ask about the sword I made, I've read about the types of knives not allowed, so I'm going to have to sell a few and I've talked to a couple of bladesmiths in NZ and one makes swords so I know they're not illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post

Buying guns here?

OH had an AR-15 that he paid US$1100 for in the US and it's NZ$10,000!!!!

A Remington 870 12 gauge was about US$200 (or less) but it is NZ$700!

A .22 rimfire is US$100 and NZ$600.

so if you want guns, it is best to try to go through the hassle of importing!!
    Holy moley! Sounds like I should become a dealer. That's a heck of a mark-up (or is that due to import fees?)!

I have a firearms license and have got a lot of info from my local arms officer about importation rules. Bringing over firearms with your shipment without a license can result in them being permanently confiscated. They specifically do not want you to do it.

I was advised by the police to leave them in the US and then either bring them back on a trip to the US or have family bring the firearms with them when they come to NZ on a visit. That is the easiest way to import to NZ according to the police. As for having them shipped here (ie by mail) - getting them into NZ is pretty easy, getting them shipped out of the US is a nightmare. I have looked into it already and due to fears about Osama bin Laden getting a hold of your deer rifle it is now not easy to ship firearms out of the US.

It is very easy to bring firearms (rifles and shotguns) into NZ if you a temporary visitor (ie family visiting) due to NZ being a international hunting destination. Once they are here they can be simply left here in the possession of someone with a firearms license. I spoke with my arms officer about having my parents do this to bring my hunting rifle here and he said it was perfectly fine and will help me with the paperwork and coordination at the airport if we decide to do it.

One other possible alternative is to bring them on your flights to NZ as checked baggage and then give them to someone with a license here once you arrive until you get your own license. You would probably want to check with police to see if this would be allowed as you technically would not be a temporary visitor (as you would be entering on a PR or work visa) which is what the temporary import license is designed for. I am pretty sure it would be allowed based on what I have been told by the police so far. As long as the firearms are in the possession of someone with a license once you arrive, it will probably fly.

The license requirement you read about in the US can be anything that shows that you can use firearms in the US, like a hunting license. The police are aware that there are no licensing requirements in the US so they know you cannot produce a similar document like here in NZ.
    Last edited by TJH; 10th October 2010 at 09:21 AM.

Thanks for the info. I suppose my CCW permit would work as well, no?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast