Thread: Spring water supply???

Question Spring water supply???

Well the time has come for us to move closer to the town, due to having a 12 year old and a reluctance to play taxis any more

We've seen a property we find interesting, however the water supply is "spring water" and I haven't a clue what that means.

Does it mean it's fed by a well, or has a deep bore?? What happens if the spring dries up, does that mean you run out of water??

Anyone with experience of this system, good or bad, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    We've seen a property we find interesting, however the water supply is "spring water" and I haven't a clue what that means.

Does it mean it's fed by a well, or has a deep bore?? What happens if the spring dries up, does that mean you run out of water??
    Yes very probably you have your own water supply. I know quite a few properties around here with their own wells.

If it dries up, you will still have your water tank with one, two or more thousand litres. Worst case is you will have to by it and get it delivered.

Ask some neighbours or the local authority around what they know etc.
    Last edited by ralf-nz; 11th October 2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: orthography corrected

We have rainwater tanks and a spring fed supply. We use the spring water for watering the plants, because as far as we can see it just comes from a stream in the wood, and is not all that clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam B View Post
    We have rainwater tanks and a spring fed supply. We use the spring water for watering the plants, because as far as we can see it just comes from a stream in the wood, and is not all that clean.
    Just out of interest: Do you need to treat the rain water before using it as drinking water?

Well, I know a lot of people do, but we don't, and it tastes great. We haven't been ill yet. Up until recently we had a particle filter on it, but they were very costly to replace and affected the water pressure, so we have ditched it.

Hiya - we are out in Beachlands and only have rain water - 2 big tanks in the garden. Apart from being really careful of our water usage we have no problems. The water is put through a filter (UV) and its great - good to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by BrightonBrowns View Post
    Hiya - we are out in Beachlands and only have rain water - 2 big tanks in the garden. Apart from being really careful of our water usage we have no problems. The water is put through a filter (UV) and its great - good to drink.
    Ditto, Also a Beachlander although we only have one tank

I've never actually been so mindful of the rain and when it last rained before but other than the worry that come the middle of summer we'll run out tank water's great. (also one less bill to pay!)

But rainwater is very different to spring water. I think spring water varies from very pure to just a muddy stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam B View Post
    But rainwater is very different to spring water. I think spring water varies from very pure to just a muddy stream.
    Yeah but surely if a house is designed to run on it there will be some kind of filtration system for it (kinda like the one that purifyers our rain water for drinking). If not then it's going to be something else that feeds the taps in a kitchen, maybe a tank.

OH is a plumber and has told me absolute horror stories about rain water systems here in NZ. Typically, they are not filtered. And many times, the tanks do not even have a lid.
    He has had to fish out dead bloated rats (and many other things) from the tanks. And the people in the house had been drinking and washing with that dead rat water.

If you have a tank system, I would suggest you check to see if there is any kind of filtration system on it. If there is, you are the exception.

Sorry to gross you out--but I just want everyone to be informed and check their system.