Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customs duties for PRs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Customs duties for PRs

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been answered before. Is there a link for info on what customs allowances (duty-free?) there maybe on goods brought in by new migrants? Also, assuming there are some, must they be availed of when the PR first arrives? Since we don't plan to take anything with us when we go for activating our PR in Feb 2011, will we be giving up on any such allowances, or can we use them later when we permanently move in July 2011?

Any info much appreciated.

Your first shipment should be free of tax.

Quote Originally Posted by ykkee View Post
    Your first shipment should be free of tax.
    Subject to it being of "used" goods (i.e. not bought new and imported as part of the shipment).

More info is here.
    Last edited by James 1077; 12th October 2010 at 05:04 PM.

I am currently going thru the pain of NOT reading the fine print on NZ Customs/Immigration status. If you do NOT have PR at the time your goods arrive OR a work visa for at least 12 months, you will be liable for customs, duty AND GST on those goods.
    We just got our estimate and lets just say....I cried...

Hang on do you mean to say that if we ship our stuff early (cause we have excess furniture to live with until we leave) and the stuff arrives before our visa does (i.e before we leave the uk) we would be liable for customs etc?? if so might as well wait until just before we leave. I mean it is unlikely for our furniture to get there before us in just 7 weeks surely?????

Thanks ykkee. James 1077, thanks for the clarification and link. Cbrown, I'll try to read the fine prints, even though I suffer from serious attention defficiency when I try to do that kind of thing!

just a note, to this thread, our household items arrived Nov 2008 and returned to the UK Nov 2009, (we followed in Jan 2010) we have since returned to NZ and goods arrived last week and we did not pay GST! (we arrived on a 2 year work permit andnow have PR)

Quote Originally Posted by Janey View Post
    just a note, to this thread, our household items arrived Nov 2008 and returned to the UK Nov 2009, (we followed in Jan 2010) we have since returned to NZ and goods arrived last week and we did not pay GST! (we arrived on a 2 year work permit andnow have PR)
    Hi Janey,

Thanks. Am I correct in reading that you had your household goods shipped twice to NZ, and didn't have to pay GST (or any other duties?) both the times?

Oh no Carmen! bummer! (well, i'll bet it is STILL less than buying some of those sporting goods in-country...)

This is a good topic...I was just researching this also:

Change to household goods rules
    The rules around the duty-free entry of household goods will change from 15 November. People who hold long-term temporary visas (such as long-term business and work to residence visas) will not have to pay any Customs duty on their baggage and effects, including ships, aircraft, motor vehicles, and household effects.

The full list of people who do not have to pay Customs duty on their baggage and effects, including ships, aircraft, motor vehicles, and household effects includes people who hold:

病 New Zealand passport
    病n Australian passport
    病 current New Zealand residence visa or permit, or current returning resident痴 visa or permit
    病 current permanent residence visa (including a resident return visa) issued by the Government of the Commonwealth of Australia
    病 current work visa or work permit that was issued for a minimum of 12 months
    病 current work visa or work permit, issued under the Long Term Business Visa policy, that was issued for a minimum of 9 months
    病 current visitor痴 visa or permit that was issued for a minimum of 3 years

http://www.customs.govt.nz/default.htm
    National Call Centre

I ended up calling them...& just spoke to the kindest man! He was very helpful and said that for our situation (OH has NZ passport & I have my residence visa) they are only concerned with brand new / in the box items never used... You need to have used items -- at least once.

Free phone within New Zealand: 0800 4 CUSTOMS (0800 428 786)
    Calling from Australia free phone: 1800 301 861
    Calling from overseas: +64 9 300 5399
    Fax: 09 359 6730
    Faxing from overseas: +64 9 359 6730
    E-mail: feedback@customs.govt.nz

Smile

Hi
    Yes that is correct no GST unless the bill is in the post! lol! not sure they would release the container without payment though

Funny thing was we had a move from hell back to the UK with items damaged and lost, (long story) not convinced we have enerything now! one item we claimed for we found this time when unpacking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast