Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We made it!

Default We made it!

Hi everyone, we have finally arrived in Wellington after a fairly gruelling trip. Four flights in 36 hours with four kids and 18 cases was like managing a military manoevre! By the time we got here we were all completely shell shocked, I don't even remember anything the nice lady from the accommodation rental agency said to us - apart from the fact that she originally came from Bolton. One day on and we are still very tired but we have managed to sort out bank accounts and mobile phones - not much but all we could do before our brains stopped working! My top tip to anyone planning their journey is to book as far ahead as you dare and check in online as early as possible. We couldn't book flights until the last minute which made it very expensive, we were also advised to check in at the airport to have a chance of getting extra legroom seats (Matt is 6'6") but despite arriving about 4 hours before the flight we still ended up with the worst seats - next to the toilets and no leg room at all. Despite the horrible journey, waking up to Wellington was everything I hoped it would be and more. We have rented a serviced apartment in the centre of the city for a week and it is lovely. Tomorrow we will be looking for a car big enough to get us and all our luggage over to Nelson!

High points so far have been; Wellington, what a lovely city; youngest daughter getting a great haircut with no appointment and for half the price it would have been in the UK! ; being offered an interview for a job I didn't expect to get; the ease of getting internal flights from Auckland and last but not least the friendship and support of the forum members on ENZ, especially dbonnet who has been brilliant, thank you so much!

Low points: the flight from Dubai to Brisbane - just awful and best forgotten! the reaction of some family members to our leaving and, worst of all, our 18 year old daughters surprise announcement that she has no intention of staying in New Zealand and will be leaving as soon as she possibly can. I just feel devastated at the moment but also so tired and emotional that I can't really get my head round it, or make any sensible decisions about what to do. All suggestions welcome!

Fiona

Kia Ora.

Welcome to Aotearoa..

Don't forget to change your location.

Nick..

welcome to our sunny shores.. she's probably quite emotional and at the mo and feels she's given up a lot but not had the chance to experience what she gets in return. give it a year and review from there i say?

Welcome!!! Wow congrats on making it - 6 of you plus 18 cases, what a nightmare! :eek

I agree with Neil, get her to leave it a year (at least - make sure she at least has her IRRV before making any rash decisions!).

How long are you in Welly for?

Congratulations on the arrival.

I would second the advice for your daughter...ask her to wait until she has IRRV before returning to the UK. Hopefully by the time that point comes she will not want to return and problem will be solved, but if she does she can come back whenever she chooses.

You have done remarkably well to get here, still sane and with all the luggage and children. We had 7 large carryons, 4 cabin bags, a handbag and two laptops and I still remember counting the luggage at the carousel after each flight. That was hard going but you have done brilliantly with 18 pieces

Hope you find a car you like that can transport you and your luggage comfortably. We only had two kids but fitted into an Odyssey.

Enjoy Nelson!

All the best.

Yes, don't do anything/think anything/feel anything/react to anything in any long-term manner until you've all rested thoroughly after the journey and upheaval. You're not yourselves yet, so give everyone a chance to catch their breath, remembering that it's going to take longer than normal because of having to process being in a new environment.

Fiona, would you like to meet up for lunch on Thursday or Friday this week? I work on the north end of the Welly CBD. Let me know!

Well done you made it!
    Still sane?

he he he

Fingers crossed your 18yr old will chill a little when the jetlag wears off.

*hughughug*

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I will second M-Squared's offer of meeting for lunch. I'm at the south end of the CBD - all of 10 minutes' walk though

I thought we did well with two of us and 5 cases but you put us to shame! Where are you staying? We're currently in short term digs on The Terrace. It's great being so central initially.

Wellington is definitely a much nicer place to live than to visit. I remember spending the day here on our holiday last year and not thinking much to it, but I like living here (so far - after just three weeks!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast