Thread: Containers - weight or what you can stuff in??

Default Containers - weight or what you can stuff in??

Hello,
    just been reading a thread about pianos. I just presumed we wouldn't take our old piano as it's just a cheapy one for the kids to kill, but then started wondering do containers go on weight or can you just stuff them full?

I'm guessing the removal firm would class a piano as a 'extra charge' to move as they're heavy for the movers to lift?

Hi,
    We are using pickfords and they based their quote on volume. I am sure that a piano would be no problem.
    Regards,
    Nick

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I know that some do work it on weight. Ours was just done on volume though. It is worth asking when you have the shippers around to do quotes.

Containers on the whole are charged by volume, we brought a piano and I seem to remember some companies looked at it as an extra cost, some didn't. Both houses we moved out of and into had appalling access but the packers managed with no problems whatsoever.

A quick google came up with this.
    "In exporting, it is common to encounter a payload of 17,500 kgs. or less in the 20' container, and 24,000 kgs. or less in the 40' container. "
    I really doubt that you will get even close to those limits with household goods. My 20 footer weighed under 6 tonnes with a 1500 kg car and a 750 kg toolbox inside and that includes the weight of the container!
    The shipping costs are for the container regardless of the weight, the removals people might charge more for the packing though.
    Last edited by diogenese; 14th October 2010 at 06:51 PM.

Ours charged by volume

No don't think it will be a problem.
    I had several items at least a piano's worth in weight to add to my 40' workshop/house pack. With no significant extra cost just agro from the packing team grumbling about the assessors inability to calculate the real volumes . . . .

That said they did have to draft in 3 extra personnel and extra materials to get me packed & loaded!
    Container left Cardiff this morning . . . . . . .. . a little emotional but basically calm & collected - now for holiday mode to kick in.

Congrats. Sounds like you got the hard stuff behind you. Now you can relax and enjoy