Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One and a quarter year post.. its quite long!

Thank you for your support...

I just wanted to update folks with what had been going on..

As a biker, you have a wee nod to whatever your god might be, every time you sling your leg over that seat. He was a careful rider - I knew his riding style inside out as I taught him... I know what happened, because i am riding his bike now.. I cant afford to keep two road bikes, so my bony SV is on Trademe.

There is one really powerful thing that came out of this tho. [The night before he died] we had been discussing setting up a NZ Motorcycle (Safety) Council to promote extensive Compulsory Basic Training and the encouragement to wear good quality kit. This has happened. We, my colleagues fiancee and myself helped set this up, including ACC, insurers, retailers, university professorial input and high level police and nationally reknowned trainers... I'm proud of this... and do it in his memory.

I'll be glad to see any of you if you visit Chch.. Just drop me a pm with a contact number, and i'll shout you a coffee!

S

I read this last night, but couldn't think of anything to write that wouldn't sound trite (though heartfelt). I'm still struggling, but I was very moved and inspired by what you shared.

GreyGranite, you are an inspiration. Your story brought tears to my eyes. Ewan would be proud of you and all you have achieved. The MC Safety Council is a testament to him and to you. ((((hugs)))))

Oh my... what a read. GG, you are an inspiration! How strong and resourceful you are. I really admire your courage and your spirit. I've never read a post with tears welling up in my eyes before. All best wishes to you, you are a fantastic person!

Grey.

I'm not sure what a cartoon chimp in fancy dress can add to all the comments above or your posts. But for what it's worth then my wishes are with you to make your life in New Zealand a different version of the one you planned, but one that one that still brings you happiness.

Duncan.

There is one really powerful thing that came out of this tho. [The night before he died] we had been discussing setting up a NZ Motorcycle (Safety) Council to promote extensive Compulsory Basic Training and the encouragement to wear good quality kit. This has happened.
    Wow, that's fantastic - we've been receiving emails from the Megarider list for ages, and hubby once trained as a motorcycle instructor (though never had a chance to put it into practice, as we then moved to the UK where he would have had to requalify.. time and money didn't allow). He remains active (loudmouthed!) about safety among our riding friends though, and on various mailing lists.

(sadly my riding took a back seat once DD was born, but I'm hoping to get a bike again in NZ)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Granite View Post
    I'll be glad to see any of you if you visit Chch.. Just drop me a pm with a contact number, and i'll shout you a coffee! S
    Definitely But I think it should be US buying YOU a coffee!

I have no adequate words for your experience which whilst simultaneously tragically negative and inspiringly positive, is an experience so far away from those we tend to read on this forum, that for me it hasn't really sunk in yet. What I do know though, is that if I was a publisher, I would be signing you to write a book about your journey, to impart some of your obvious strength and vision on an even wider audience.

Quote Originally Posted by ourquest View Post
    I have no adequate words for your experience which whilst simultaneously tragically negative and inspiringly positive, is an experience so far away from those we tend to read on this forum, that for me it hasn't really sunk in yet. What I do know though, is that if I was a publisher, I would be signing you to write a book about your journey, to impart some of your obvious strength and vision on an even wider audience.
    I really like that idea!

GG, have you thought about putting pen to paper? It could also be extremely cathartic.

Thank you for sharing your story and the amazing way you have managed to bring something positive for others out of your own personal tragedy. You are an inspiration to us all. My son is a biker and although I worry about him, I know that it is what makes him happy and I would not want him to give it up, you only get one life and you should live it to the full as you have done. Well done and good luck for the future.

Fiona

OP....you certainly are tough as Granite!

Certainly an inspiration to us all....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast