Thread: Packing own container

Default Packing own container

Hi, Where moving back to NZ in a couple of months from Adelaide. We have collected so much stuff over here including 3 children. We have so much stuff now and even with selling off some junk we would still manage to fill a 20ft container. The quotes we received were high and we are looking at organising it ourselves.
    I come from a shipping background and my only concern so far is how to pack a container without damaging all your stuff. Has anyone had a container delivered to there door and packed it themselves? Any tips or ideas would be fabulous. Or has anyone looked inside the container when professionals have packed the container? Im guessing we need to get a whole lot of cardboard, boxes and bubble wrap and put 2 / 3 layers of cardboard around any furniture and try and pack the stuff in tightly to avoid movement?
    Did you get insurance? Im thinking we would cover the container going missing and / or if the container was droped or damaged but I was thinking that an insurance company would not be interested in covering you for damaged goods if you pack it yourself?

Can someone tell me what PR stands for?

Thanks
    Caryn

I don't know anything helpful on this subject, but hello and welcome.

My understanding is that if you pack it yourself then you can't insure individual items, I think though you may be able to insure for total loss of container.
    We have always packed our own stuff and then taken it to the container yard where the guys there have packed it into the container.
    When packing we have found it best to use linen and clothes as packing materials and its important to leave no gaps in boxes and to fill every available 'cavity' as these holes are more inclined to be crushed. Bigger breakable items are best wrapped in bubble wrap and have cardboard strapped to them. Industrial cling film is an amazing thing to pack with too.
    It is very easy to do, we have done it several times over the years with very few casualties, sods law would demand that last time we moved here in the whole container the only thing broken was of little cash value but tremendous sentimental value.

Thanks for your replies. I'll have to check out the industrial clingwrap.