Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PhD/lecturing in NZ

Default PhD/lecturing in NZ

I have devised a 6-year plan for myself in NZ! The plan is to do a Graduate Diploma in Computer Science (1 year), then a Masters (2 years), and finally obtain a PhD in it (3 years) and subsequently lecture and apply for PR based on that.

I'm worried about how difficult the plan may be, though. I will need to get a scholarship for my Masters, else I may not have the funds to proceed. I would also need to get a fully-funded PhD. Does anyone have any experience in how easily an international student might obtain that?

Also, how is grad school like in NZ? I'm from Malaysia, where most grad students are having it relatively easy. I definitely don't want to stay there though, which is why I'm here. I've heard horror stories from PhD students in USA about having to work 60-hour weeks and consequently having no life - that is certainly not the reason I plan to go the academic route! If I really didn't mind working 60-hour weeks, I'd be a doctor. Haven't heard any such complaints from people in other countries (Europe, Canada) though.

Finally, how easy would it be to obtain a lectureship position after the PhD? Are lecturers in demand? Would it make application for a PR easier?

I'm a PhD student in CS at VUW, and I don't see people doing 60 hour weeks. I'd say it is fairly relaxed. (I'm from the USA.)

In terms of your plan, you don't really need to get a Master's to get a PhD. You can apply to enroll in the PhD program with an Honors degree. This would save some time and money. I don't know how easy it is to get funding, but I know lots of students have scholarships.

After you get a PhD, getting PR should be a snap once you land a job, and getting a job shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for the reply How would you describe your normal workday, if you don't mind?

WRT the PhD, I think it's very rare that people with Honors can go straight to a PhD. From what I've read, you'd need extremely good results, probably first class honors. Those with a B average go to Masters first.

Hi,

I'm a doctoral student here and I agree the pace is pretty relaxed. More like a standard 35 hour work week, with long lunch breaks in the middle.

As to your plan I have a couple of comments. One: there are very few universities in New Zealand, hence very few lecturer positions (at least compared to the US, where any state has as many if not more universities- and there are 50 states to chose from!) However once you had your PhD you could move to another country if there were not jobs here for you.

Two: There are scholarships available to foreign students, it's worth looking at the university websites because most of them have scholarship offices with listings of what is available.

Three: I don't think you need to get that much education to get a job here. Could you not come over for a master's degree or honour's degree or diploma and then look for non-teaching work? I guess what I mean is this, if the goal is to get PR in NZ, you don't need to get a PhD- just any degree from a NZ institution and a job in NZ is probably going to earn you enough points to get PR. But if you really want to have a PhD, of course, this is a great place to study and then you can examine your options for jobs after.

Best of luck to you with your plans.

Quote Originally Posted by althea View Post
    Thanks for the reply How would you describe your normal workday, if you don't mind?

WRT the PhD, I think it's very rare that people with Honors can go straight to a PhD. From what I've read, you'd need extremely good results, probably first class honors. Those with a B average go to Masters first.
    I spend most of my time reading papers and programming. I spend a lesser amount of time writing potential papers, preparing presentations, and interacting with other researchers, both here and elsewhere.

As for going straight to the PhD with an Honors degree, it doesn't hurt to try. Your tuition and fees would certainly be much lower. At worst, I'd guess they would just tell you to get your Masters first.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
    Hi,

I'm a doctoral student here and I agree the pace is pretty relaxed. More like a standard 35 hour work week, with long lunch breaks in the middle.

As to your plan I have a couple of comments. One: there are very few universities in New Zealand, hence very few lecturer positions (at least compared to the US, where any state has as many if not more universities- and there are 50 states to chose from!) However once you had your PhD you could move to another country if there were not jobs here for you.

Two: There are scholarships available to foreign students, it's worth looking at the university websites because most of them have scholarship offices with listings of what is available.

Three: I don't think you need to get that much education to get a job here. Could you not come over for a master's degree or honour's degree or diploma and then look for non-teaching work? I guess what I mean is this, if the goal is to get PR in NZ, you don't need to get a PhD- just any degree from a NZ institution and a job in NZ is probably going to earn you enough points to get PR. But if you really want to have a PhD, of course, this is a great place to study and then you can examine your options for jobs after.

Hi,

Thanks for the help Regarding the work, I've heard lots of horror stories about the chicken-egg spiral; basically, that most jobs require you to have PR, but PR usually requires you to have a job. I wouldn't have any prior experience working in the field before applying, so that would also put me at a disadvantage. Would having a Masters offset the disadvantage and allow me a greater chance of finding employment in the industry, do you think?

The reason I chose the academic route, besides wanting flexible hours and autonomy, is that I hoped I would be sponsored to continue research/lecturing after the PhD, and it would be easier than going the chicken-egg route in the case of applying for the industry.

Keith: I would have, but for the fact that my degree with honors is in a different field from that which I wish to further my studies in.

Hi, OH currently doing PhD studies. Not much luck on scholarship though. There's NZIDRS and Commonwealth scholarship for postgraduate students, but those two are extremely difficult to obtain (in the line of selecting 10 successful students out of 300+ applications).

Anyhow, good luck from a fellow Malaysian !

Default need help regarding PhD.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
    Hi,

hi dea, im sri frm Uk and im a newbie on this forum...basically i am planning to settle down in NZ, can you plz do me a favor by giving ur valuable suggestion.
    i hv a bachelors in mech engg,masters in automotive engg...im really really intersted to settle down in NZ and i am luking for the best way which fits for ma profile....basically i hv thought of skilled migrant but im gettin around 110 to 115 ........i donno will it work,and my other option is going for Phd.im luking for univ of auckland...but im in dilemma as it is only for ppl with honours...or of exceptional research.......and i dont hv a honours ....though i hv experience...fr couple of years...........so im really confused....whether to apply fr Phd or not....and my request 2 u is howz the admission process goes on...in the univ thr ? is it easier....and do u hv any idea regarding mechanical/automotive/design engg sector whr i can easily get a Phd......i think NZ's alot same as UK when compared to other aspects.........plz can you give me any info ...further...and btw can u plz tell me wht's ur major in ? working ? ...any help will be appreciated....look forward to hear from you soon ..........thnx in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by althea View Post
    I have devised a 6-year plan for myself in NZ! The plan is to do a Graduate Diploma in Computer Science (1 year), then a Masters (2 years), and finally obtain a PhD in it (3 years) and subsequently lecture and apply for PR based on that.

I'm worried about how difficult the plan may be, though. I will need to get a scholarship for my Masters, else I may not have the funds to proceed. I would also need to get a fully-funded PhD. Does anyone have any experience in how easily an international student might obtain that?

Also, how is grad school like in NZ? I'm from Malaysia, where most grad students are having it relatively easy. I definitely don't want to stay there though, which is why I'm here. I've heard horror stories from PhD students in USA about having to work 60-hour weeks and consequently having no life - that is certainly not the reason I plan to go the academic route! If I really didn't mind working 60-hour weeks, I'd be a doctor. Haven't heard any such complaints from people in other countries (Europe, Canada) though.

Finally, how easy would it be to obtain a lectureship position after the PhD? Are lecturers in demand? Would it make application for a PR easier?
    I also have devised a 6 year plan for myself. First start a small business selling balloons and by the end of 3 years have a million dollar turnover. By the end of 5 years I will have it listed and become a multi-millionaire.

I would say our plans have just about the same chances of success.

My partner is hoping to do his PHD in NZ next year, Ideally Auckland or Otago. Does anyone know anything about Teacher Assistant/ lecturing/ marking jobs. Here in Ontario The university he is doing his master's degree at provides graduate students with these jobs and it pays for their tuition. Does anyone know if these type of jobs are available to students in NZ? I looked on the Uni's websites but could find little information regarding grad student jobs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast