Thread: Certificates requested when Job interview

Question Certificates requested when Job interview

Hi, all.

I am a new comer in this corner. I appreciate if anyone can give a hand on answering my questions since I have never been to NZ before.

My wife and I submitted our EOI in Feb 2010, and ITA was sent in Aug 2010. We are requested to gather and send our documents to Shanghai Office by 8th Dec. During this period I also applied a silver fern job search for myself and it was issued in Aug.
    I decided to move to AKL in Jan next year, cause it is a good chance to hunt a job and adapt the life in NZ. I have 2 years experience living in Japan, and 1 year in Holland, but it is no in NZ.

I am just wondering what kinds of certificates are usually requested to show when candidates attend a job interview. eg, diploma, ?? How do they normal deal with the situation that the diploma is issued in other language. I hold an electronics and information engineer bachelor in China. Since bachelor(4 years) of university in China is no need to be qualified by NZQA and equal to Level7, I didn't make qulification by NZQA.

In additional to this, what sorts of other certificates are usually needed in interview and daily life, such as driving license? birth certificate? .... I want to take all possible materials to avoid anything missed.

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance!

Larry

You will need to have all official documents professionally translated, and carry the translations with you (I know that last is a legal requirement when it comes to your driving licence, for instance). The responsibility for dealing with the language barrier is upon you, the applicant.

Hi, JandM

thank you very much for ur suggestion!!!!

A further question is that usually what kind of translation is requested by employer. What is meant by me is that whether this translation is required to be done in official company in NZ? or any translation company or individual can do this?

Thank you!

People usually have more confidence in a translation done by a professional translator (and this will show up on their headed paper), than by someone among your family and friends, no matter how well they speak the language. I believe the thinking is that a personal connection might write anything, just to oblige, whereas the professional will have translated what is actually there.

I don't remember the detail, but I THINK I remember hearing that for some purposes, you have to have a notarized statement from the translator that it is a true version. Maybe someone seeing this can help?

Can't say for other emplyers, but I dragged my certificates around with me and there's been no interest in seeing them at all by my employer - the very act of getting PR implies that you must have convinced NZIS you're qualified, so they seem to think that's enough.

Different to the Uk where you do need to show them, but I guess that will vary from company to company.

Hi, JandM, Duncan.

Thank you for your help.

It seems that different companines' request are not same. I suppose it is better to take certificates and translation with me, because for me I haven't got PR and just hold a silver fern work permit.

thanks again!

Larry.

I agree - better to have something you don't turn out to need, than the other way round. And you never willingly give a company an excuse to think that no, you're too much trouble.