Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Kiwi's know best!!

Default What Kiwi's know best!!

Ok - so no offense to anyone else but I thought it would be interesting for new arrivals to know some of what the locals know, stuff that you can never find in the guide books etc. We're very lucky that we have Kiwi family and can point us in right direction. Please add titbits so we can all feel less than strangers in our new adopted land: Here's our titbit;

Always park a car in the direction of the flow of traffic (UK especially): apparently if the driver(s) can't see your rear reflectors to warn them you've parked. For insurance purposes, you're at fault for any collision if you get hit as you haven't forwarned other drivers that you're parked (in the UK we consider ourselves lucky to find any parking space regardless of direction!!)

Don't plan on testing the theory but we're sticking with the local advice for now

Quote Originally Posted by Starkus71 View Post
    Ok - so no offense to anyone else but I thought it would be interesting for new arrivals to know some of what the locals know, stuff that you can never find in the guide books etc. We're very lucky that we have Kiwi family and can point us in right direction. Please add titbits so we can all feel less than strangers in our new adopted land: Here's our titbit;

Always park a car in the direction of the flow of traffic (UK especially): apparently if the driver(s) can't see your rear reflectors to warn them you've parked. For insurance purposes, you're at fault for any collision if you get hit as you haven't forwarned other drivers that you're parked (in the UK we consider ourselves lucky to find any parking space regardless of direction!!)

Don't plan on testing the theory but we're sticking with the local advice for now
    I think (not totally sure here) that this is the law in the US at least. I think you can be ticketed or towed if you park either going against traffic or against the direction the other cars are parked in. I can't imagine how crazy parking would be if you didn't have a mandated direction!!

Quote Originally Posted by redsheesha View Post
    I think (not totally sure here) that this is the law in the US at least. I think you can be ticketed or towed if you park either going against traffic or against the direction the other cars are parked in. I can't imagine how crazy parking would be if you didn't have a mandated direction!!
    thinking very hard about the center of Bristol, its immeadiate surroundings and the ar*e end of my volvo........

I know what people DO, of course, but it's actually the law in the UK, too, to park the 'right way round' - !

Parking
    ... If you have to stop on the roadside

do not park facing against the traffic flow
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069860

My friend got ticketed in Cambridge for parking the "wrong way" and the policeman gave her the argument of the rear reflectors at night.
    But, great thread!! Keep 'em coming!

These are my perenials,

Dont leave the house without UV protection on your face, if in doubt look around at our older citizens.

If you want to live in warmth and comfort buy a house on the northern side of any hill, not shaded by trees etc.

And enjoy
    Gran

Quote Originally Posted by Starkus71 View Post
    Please add titbits so we can all feel less than strangers in our new adopted land:
    No matter how you think something is pronounced, you are probably wrong. I won't attempt to explain the correct way to pronounce my user name but a lot of kiwi kids find it extremely funny.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I know what people DO, of course, but it's actually the law in the UK, too
    I'm sure eating marmite is law in the UK but oh well. Cannot stomach that vegemite rubbish myself!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I know what people DO, of course, but it's actually the law in the UK, too, to park the 'right way round' - !

It is in the Highway Code but I don't believe it is law in the UK. A lot of the Highway Code is simply best practice rather than mandatory, the laws are usually emphasised in bold text. The NZ Road Code is different because it is pretty much all law; if you don't obey it you may well get a ticket.

Referring back to the online version of the UK Highway Code where I found this, the beginning states
    The Highway Code
    The road user and the law
    Road traffic law
    The following list can be found abbreviated throughout the Code. It is not intended to be a comprehensive guide, but a guide to some of the important points of law. For the precise wording of the law, please refer to the various Acts and Regulations (as amended) indicated in the Code.
    and then there is a whole list explaining the abbreviations quoted under each section. It's here. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069869

That piece I quoted before comes from these laws, apparently.
    [Laws CUR reg 98, 105 & 107, RVLR reg 27 & RTA 1988 sect 42]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast