Thread: Sponsor sibling

Default Sponsor sibling

Hello could someone please help with a question regarding sibling sponsorship?

My partner would like to sponsor his brother/sister in law and two children into New Zealand in the future.

Could someone clarify what this means from the immigration website?

• have no other siblings or parents who are living lawfully and permanently in the same country in which they are living lawfully and permanently

Their mother is British, although currently back in South Africa setting up a business but not intending to live there permanently. Does this mean my partner's brother won't qualify under sibling sponsorship unless she leaves South Africa?

Many thanks!
    Rose

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think there is sibling sponsorship.

The brother should just follow the route everyone else follows to get in the country. Apply for PR like you did. He would get some bonus points for having family in NZ though.

Sponsorship for parents is different--they are usually too old to qualify on their own for immigration. But NZIS has kindly allowed them a way into the country to join their children who have emigrated previously. It is a family reunification plan.

OK, I see where you are getting this: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ysiblingchild/

But as you can see, they are far overloaded

The family capped stream (which comprises parent, adult child and sibling residence cases) is currently allocated 4,950 - 5500 places per year. Demand for these places currently exceeds supply.
    This is the same category as the parent sponsorship route.

Back to what I was originally saying---why doesn't the brother just apply the same way as you did? Apply for PR! It is a much quicker, straightforward way to get into the country.

Hi GrumpyGoat

We don't think he will qualify for PR on any other visa, so if there is even a small chance of getting them out of SA via the sibling visa, we will try. He has lots of IT experience gained working in the family business, but no formal qualification to back it up.

Thanks, Rose

• have no other siblings or parents who are living lawfully and permanently in the same country in which they are living lawfully and permanently
    Their mother is British, although currently back in South Africa setting up a business but not intending to live there permanently. Does this mean my partner's brother won't qualify under sibling sponsorship unless she leaves South Africa?
    I expect it's one of those things that would have to be explained and even argued about, if she is still there when the application is made. If the claim is that she is not intending to live there permanently, I imagine NZ immigration would examine carefully what kind of arrangements she has. What kind of visa would be part of it. Then, where does she pay taxes, on what basis, does she have her own SA house, what is her title within the business, how long has she already been in the country on this trip, etc. etc..

My OH and I also looked into this option. We are UK citizens and my brother is a NZ permanent resident, but cannot sponsor us as our parents are both living permanently in the UK. We are currently both working here on WTR but it is proving difficult to find 'skilled employment' opportunities.
    Last edited by Twunky; 8th November 2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Dear All,

A job offer is still required for the sibling sponsorship right?

Yes, it is. Here's a summing-up of the requirements. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/5300.htm