Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Hawke's Bay OMG

Talking Moving to Hawke's Bay OMG

Hi everyone ,

My name is Natalia and I currently live in Cardiff with my husband and little one (soon to be 2 years old). After giving it a lot of thought, we've decided to emigrate to NZ. I started by looking into the job market for my sector (Bridge Engineering) in mid September 2010. I sent my CV to an agent and he got me a job interview a week later. I thought the fact of getting a telephone interview was great on its own and definitely a way forward but my biggest surprise was to receive a job offer a week later . I quite fancy the company and the career prospects and the job offer was excellent so no hesitation from my side to accept it.

So that was me, beginning of October with a job offer and needing to sort out Visas for a tentative job start date of January 2011 . I got in touch with a couple of emigration agencies with good reputations and chose the one that gave me a good gut feeling and offered me the best deal.

Im currently in the process of sorting out police certificates, which are not made any easier by the fact that Im originally from Venezuela and my husband is Italian. This means 4 set of police certificates to get sorted plus relevant translations. Due to the looming start date of my job offer, Ive decided to go with a parallel work permit/residency application. This will hopefully ensure that I can get some sort of Visa to start working but will save doubling the costs of the medical/police checks also require for the residency.

We will hopefully be moving sometime end of December to Hawkes bay. My job is in Napier so my guess is we will be living somewhere close to it... not yet sure.

I have too many things to get sorted but have to admit I have found this site fantastic! I was hoping I can get some sort of advice from this forum on these topics and possibly many more that will keep cropping up as we go along.

My main concerns at the moment are:

- Accommodation we are intending to rent for a year at least to get a feel for the place

- Childcare arrangement my little boy will be two in January. He currently goes to a lovely nursery here and I hope I could arrange a good daycare centre for him back there. My OH will need to start working ASAP so Im worry with the possible waiting lists. If it is like in the UK then Im up to a 6 months wait for a place... not really ideal.

- We will need to buy a car as we were told by the NZ AA that our car is not suitable for their roads. I dont do cars but I think is sometimes to do with the front impact. Any suggestions on best cars to buy will be ideal. The maximum we can put towards the car will be 3500 and obviously the less we spend the better.

- Removal companies- currently getting some quotes. Any experience of removal companies from the UK to Hawkes Bay will be greatly received.

Cheers

Hello and welcome. I expect you'll get some comments later when NZ wakes up.

Hi Natalia

We are also due to move to Napier in early new year

Trademe is the beat place to look for accommodation & get a feel for prices

The quality of areas in Napier are very varied with north & west inland being more preferable to south & east

If you want to pm me an e-mail address I can forward you a copy of a map indicating the preferred areas divided in green/amber & red

Regards

Francis1962

hope you can sort out all the thing soon, good luck

Hi & welcome.

We've been in Napier over 3 years now.

As mentioned, Trade Me is a good place to start on price research.

Nick.

Hi Natalia

Welcome!! Did you know there is a 'Sunny Hawke's Bay' social group here on the forum?

...and even talk of an ENZ gazebo at Art Deco weekend?

You may have seen these already but if not, they are worth a look....

http://www.napierlife.com/index.php?cid=mag/summary

http://www.hawkesbaynz.com/

http://www.hawkesbay.co.nz/

http://www.napier.govt.nz/index.php?pid=375

If you search the forum under titles only using Hawke's Bay as the key word you will see lots of past threads about Hawke's Bay and Napier. If I remember correctly some of them discuss desirable living areas and those to avoid.

We found our apartment through Quinovic on Marine Parade in Napier. They are reasonably efficient, have some good properties - and they don't charge a finders fee!

http://www.quinovic.co.nz/

There are loads of early childhood settings in the area - the link below shows many of them.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?hl=en&...ed=0CDUQtQMwAA

Best of luck!

TTG

Thanks for the replies ...

I will definitely look in trade me and Quinovic to see whats up there for rentals. My company will provide the initial two weeks accommodation in Napier so what Im not sure about is whether I will be able to sort out a long term rental in those two weeks or whether I should get something sorted from the UK?

As for childcare I will like to know of personal experiences on the different daycare centres? Any good or bad experiences?

Cheers
    Natalia

Quote Originally Posted by Natalia79 View Post
    I started by looking into the job market for my sector (Bridge Engineering) ... My job is in Napier
    Just curious: Are there that many bridges to be built in Hawkes Bay?

I have (had) a similar background in bridge and railway construction back in Europe. Now I am working on industrial and commercial structures. So "just a tiny little change" !

Welcome

Hi Natalia,

I'm new to this forum also, but have been viewing it for some time and find it really useful.

I'm currently living in the UK but am originally from Napier - most of my family are still in Napier. I've been living in the UK for sometime but am moving back to Napier before Christmas, or just after (hopefully, as long as house sale here goes through ok!) with my british husband.

I can help you with lots of information and did try to PM you, but think that I have to have so many posts before I can do that?

The best place to find a rental is www.trademe.co.nz, however another option would be to book a holiday rental for a while, till you find an area that you like etc. (Downside to this of course is they are more expensive than a long term rental but you can probably negotiate on price for a long term rental) Holiday rentals are furnished also which could help as Im guessing your container won't be there for a while. A good website is www.holidayhouses.co.nz, but if you are thinking of doing that I would look into it now as theres so much going on in Napier in Jan and Feb (esp Feb) that some places are probably booked up already.

My mum works at a childcare centre in Napier - the website for it is http://www.portcitychildren.co.nz/index.html - Im not sure if theres a waiting list or how it works but I will ask her and let you know, otherwise you could just contact them directly. A lot of my friend's children have been there over the years and theyve all seemed to like it.

Again www.trademe.co.nz is a good place to look at for cars. As for shipping companies, we are going through the same thing at the moment, we've had quotes from Pickfords and PSS and awaiting one from Crown - so far the company ive been most impressed with has been PSS (and Ive used them in the past to send teachests back to NZ from the UK and they've always been really good).

Let me know if youve got any other questions and I'll try and help.

kelly :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast