Thread: Waiting Times on NZQA/NZ Teaching Council

Default Waiting Times on NZQA/NZ Teaching Council

Hi all,

was just after some advice or if anone else has experiences to share.

My partner and I have passed our EOI and have been invited to submit for a residency visa,we have until the 20th November to do this.

The problem we have encountered is that my partners qualifications need to go through NZQA and then to the NZ Teaching council, which would be fine, but when it came to getting things together she couldn't find her certificates, so we have now had to get duplicates of all (only for them to turn up in a classroom that she teaches in, but that's another story!!!)

We have now, at the same time, sent one set to the NZQA and one to the NZ Teaching Council, in anyone's previous experience do these two bodies co-operate with one another or are we at a stage where we need to wait for one before the other will do anything and if so are you aware of any timescales with these.

Secondly, realistically we won't get these back in time for our timescale for when we need to submit by, so is it an option to have an extension agreed by the embassy?? Is it just a case of pleading with our case officer??

Many thanks for any help that can be thrown our way.

Hello and welcome.

You'll get more comments later when NZ wakes up, I'm sure. However, other people have had the situation where they weren't going to meet the deadline, and have written in to the CO explaining what the problem is. They will almost always allow an extension if a) you don't leave it till the last minute, and b) you give all the details of why there is the difficulty, and the steps you have taken to overcome it.

Congratulations with your selection.

My experience was slightly different, however, as my EOI was rejected at first for not having teacher's registration. Therefore I wasn't considered a teacher so I couldn't claim any points for the qualification and didn't make to the treshold of 100 points after deduction.

Only after the registration was granted INZ was willing to reconsider.

In my case, NZTC needed the assessment report from NZQA and that was forwarded to them automatically.

I'm not sure why you only have a few weeks time to submit your residency application (unless it's a typo) but in my case NZQA took almost 5 months to get my qualifications assessed and NZTC took 6 weeks, the normal timeline as per their website.

Re the extension you won't know til you ask, you can always ask
    failing that, re-submit an eoi
    nzqa and teachers council do co-operate and communicate with one another but nzqa has to be done before registration (even tho you can submit to both at same time)
    things always have a habit of taking longer than you think they should...we were just 'renewing' OH's registration and it seemed to take longer than I thought it should and they had all the info from nzqa