Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking the risk - Flying to Auckland

Question Taking the risk - Flying to Auckland

I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm flying to Auckland and will be working with several recruiters to secure a job offer so I can get my visa and finally move to New Zealand. I leave in less than a week and have nowhere lined up to stay while I'm there. I really don't relish the thought of spending $100 per night at a hotel that doesn't even have a kitchen.

Does anyone here live in Auckland and have a room they would consider renting out to me or know any way to find a good single bedroom place to rent for several weeks? My only requirements are that it not be in some seedy location, and that it have Internet access.

Worst case scenario, would someone local be willing to help me find such a place?

I am of great personal character and would be happy to talk over the phone, Skype, webcam or any other way to help ensure you that I'm a good guy.

Help anyone?

Xantius

Hi
    Quest offer serviced accomodation with kitchen and wifi facilities as well as Waldorf apartments there are several of these about in good locations in the city centre
    hope this helps

hello xantius,

try out the sites below:

http://www.nzflatmates.co.nz/
    http://www.flatfinder.co.nz/
    http://www.tourism.net.nz/region/auc...er-and-budget/
    http://www.bondstlodge.co.nz/contact.html

Searching also from the internet, most Auckland areas are expensive, especially in the Central area, so you might consider also a bit farther from the central area for cheaper prices, also, usually the average is around 200-300NZ rent per week. So it is better to share accomodation as what most of the people advice. You can go check that websites.

It is also really better if you have friends there in NZ to stay with since accomodation really cost you a lot of money.

Goodluck in your move and wish you all the best!

EOI submitted: May 02/09
    EOI selected: May 15/09
    ITA received:June 09/09
    ITA submitted: July 01/09 (Beijing Branch)
    Interview date: May 07/10
    Result: Approved(WTR) - Oct 15/10
    Last edited by emem297; 22nd October 2010 at 04:43 PM.

Thumbs up Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by hazemsalem View Post
    The suggestions above for quest and waldorf were great, but this one was a gold mine. In less than 20 minutes I had registered, and found what appears to be the PERFECT match and have already called the person and arranged it. Exactly what I was looking for. You just made my day. Thank you!

Xantius

Hmm I always thought of finding a place to stay via TradeMe, but I guess finding the right flatmate first is the logical route.

[QUOTE=xantius;380721]I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm flying to Auckland and will be working with several recruiters to secure a job offer so I can get my visa and finally move to New Zealand.

@xantius,
    Hi! Just want to check, you are going to NZ on tourist visa and will look for a job before sending your EOI?

What field/ work experience do you have? actually, I am thinking of going there myself incase my EOI is not selected (with only 115 pts) and just try my luck finding a job offer...

hope u can enlighten me on your case.

Quote Originally Posted by ALO View Post
    Hi! Just want to check, you are going to NZ on tourist visa and will look for a job before sending your EOI?

What field/ work experience do you have? actually, I am thinking of going there myself incase my EOI is not selected (with only 115 pts) and just try my luck finding a job offer...

hope u can enlighten me on your case.
    Yes, I"ll be traveling on a visitors visa this week and will be working on securing a job. I'm in the IT industry, but INZ rejected my degree in Information Systems not matching up with Information Technology so I lost all my bonus points which caused them to subsequently reject our EOI after they had selected it. Hopefully landing a job down there will help with the process.

Good luck xantius!

Xantius - I'm sure you'll be fine. A friend of ours is almost 'accidentally' living near Christchurch: he was travelling, arrived at Auckland airport with a rucksack (no plans and nowhere to stay), and has never left the country. OK, that was 10 years or so ago and I'm sure the system has changed, but you get the idea.

He's found work, bought a house, and is (of course) a 'proper' resident now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast